A&H

Ars vs liv

one

RefChat Addict
Nothing to see here.

Two goals but otherwise a boring game from ref (or fan) perspective.

A&H International
It is weirdly a repeat of the game from a few weeks ago - just without incident.

Dre (we can call him that) had a few ”smart” decisions to sell. There was one slider that would be interesting to see again (Robbo or maybe Thiago on Partay).

Partay was quality and this Arsenal team is very quick. They outplayed Liverpool for large parts but didn’t take their chances. While Martinelli repeatedly exposed TAA’s poor positioning and defensive ability, the other three Liverpool defenders were imperious. That they stayed on their feet was probably a big reason Dre didn’t have tough KMIs to decide on.

Marriner is always a strange referee for me to watch - his relaxed style is probably the closest to mine of all the PL referees, but then sometimes I get frustrated with him taking it a little too far.

There was one moment where two players did square up to each other and he just wandered over, let it diffuse naturally and then got on with the game. It worked out OK obviously, but I can't help the feeling a really top referee would have used the opportunity to impose some control rather than just leaving it to the players to sort out.

From a footballing POV, think you're a little harsh on TAA there @santa sangria ! Yes, Martinelli had the beating of him at the start, but very little happened in that area in the second half, and I think that's mostly down to TAA solving the puzzle. He starting playing the attacking RB role more, which pinned Martinelli back and forced him to do more defensive duty, and then whenever Arsenal did push forwards he was dealing with it comfortably by the end. Martinelli was very good, but I still don't see him moving to CF and solving the striker problem though - all of Arsenal's quality attack is pointing towards a striker who just isn't there, but I think they could be really good if they can buy the right player to fill that role.

Marriner is always a strange referee for me to watch - his relaxed style is probably the closest to mine of all the PL referees, but then sometimes I get frustrated with him taking it a little too far.

There was one moment where two players did square up to each other and he just wandered over, let it diffuse naturally and then got on with the game. It worked out OK obviously, but I can't help the feeling a really top referee would have used the opportunity to impose some control rather than just leaving it to the players to sort out.

From a footballing POV, think you're a little harsh on TAA there @santa sangria ! Yes, Martinelli had the beating of him at the start, but very little happened in that area in the second half, and I think that's mostly down to TAA solving the puzzle. He starting playing the attacking RB role more, which pinned Martinelli back and forced him to do more defensive duty, and then whenever Arsenal did push forwards he was dealing with it comfortably by the end. Martinelli was very good, but I still don't see him moving to CF and solving the striker problem though - all of Arsenal's quality attack is pointing towards a striker who just isn't there, but I think they could be really good if they can buy the right player to fill that role.
I actually like the way he moves over more naturally, much better than seeing referees completely overreact like Slavko Vincic in the ECL game the night before. He will also be using his voice to tell them he is on his way and to cool it. I suspect if you asked most players who their favourite referee is Marriner would be right up there, they like calm and laid back referees that they can have a chat with and you don't much calmer and laid back than him.

On the football side, Martinelli had TAA on toast and the only reason it didn't cause a problem is Klopp realised and doubled or even trebled up on him. There's no doubt about TAA's attacking qualities, but against top class wingers he gets badly found out.

(Just lost a long reply thanks to combination of fuzzy Covid head and failing battery… so in summary…)

Dre is relaxed like other prem refs. They are obvs trained to slow walk to flashpoints. Confusing for the rest of us refs.

(TAA is attempting blocks/tackles with the wrong foot, pulling out of aerials outside the box, giving up snd jogging when rounded, going kamikazee with solo midfield pressing, too easy to beat one on one, caught upfield (when not planned) but the worst is getting caught 5m ahead of the line for easy balls over the top. Klopp is publicly supporting but Virgil is screaming on the field- and Matip just got player of the month, largely on making blocks and tackles in the TAA-shaped hole. Obvs the team and Hendo compensate and results speak for themselves. But he can’t start serious England matches playing like this - even if he has the wands of Beckham.)

Back