A&H

Are UEFA following the Prem League?

The Referee Store
Whats the frame rate of the ball being actually touched to the keeper being back on his line? Where is @RefJef to explain the physics when you need him!!! ;)

Was the penalty scored?

If it was then it doesn't matter, if it wasn't then obviously it should have been retaken

The only time I have seen VAR strictly penalise this was the FIFA tournaments over the summer. Otherwise, it's not generally picked up on.

The only time I have seen VAR strictly penalise this was the FIFA tournaments over the summer. Otherwise, it's not generally picked up on.

Which is strange, as certainly in this instance it's is a clear and obvious error on the part of the match officials to not recognise and punish the infringement.

Goalkeeper off line. Defenders encroaching. Penalty saved. No retake. Well done UEFA. Top banana!! :wall:

Reactions: Nij
Which is strange, as certainly in this instance it's is a clear and obvious error on the part of the match officials to not recognise and punish the infringement.

I don't necessarily disagree but let's remember the reaction on forums and elsewhere when penalties were being made to be retaken for very slight offences by the goalkeeper during the women's world cup over the summer. I would say the vast majority of people were opposed to the approach and considered it over-zealous.

I don't necessarily disagree but let's remember the reaction on forums and elsewhere when penalties were being made to be retaken for very slight offences by the goalkeeper during the women's world cup over the summer. I would say the vast majority of people were opposed to the approach and considered it over-zealous.
That is because wrong expectations were set by bad refereeing. If this is over-zealous why not the following:
- the ball at a penalty being placed 3 inches away from the spot.
- player taking the throw in had both feet 2 inches over the line
- ball crosses over the goal line by hlaf an inch

And more. All of those are dealt with without any complaint because we consistently do it correctly. Now I am not saying I would call this back but I would like to. All I want is for everyone to be consistent lead by the top tier referees.

For whatever reason, it has got to the point where people don't generally expect to see penalties retaken for slight encroachment, just as they don't expect a goalkeeper to be penalised if they hold on to the ball for 7 seconds or a free-kick is taken from slightly the wrong position.

You can debate whether this is good or bad but it seems to me that most people prefer some tolerance to be applied to penalties rather than virtually every one that is saved having to be retaken.

For whatever reason, it has got to the point where people don't generally expect to see penalties retaken for slight encroachment, just as they don't expect a goalkeeper to be penalised if they hold on to the ball for 7 seconds or a free-kick is taken from slightly the wrong position.

You can debate whether this is good or bad but it seems to me that most people prefer some tolerance to be applied to penalties rather than virtually every one that is saved having to be retaken.

I'm actually on both sides of the fence where this argument is concerned.

One thing I will say though, is that I've never seen even a half-decent penalty saved where the goalkeeper remained on his line (one foot or otherwise).

So we have a new law designed to be ignored. How far off the line can the GK be without being penalised? I'll give him three and a half inches.

Higher? Lower?

Reactions: one
Back