A&H

Arcing your run

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
Howdy,

I had an observation for 6-5 on Sunday and while I’m still waiting for the written report, I think it’s going to be a standard expected, unless the write up is totally different to the debrief.

Anyway, I didn’t have a great deal to do, aside from 2 cautions, but it was one of those games where the players could trap the ball further than they could pass it, which made positioning a bit of a mare, as you never knew where the ball was going to end up, and it’s difficult to anticipate play when the players aren’t even sure what they’re doing.

Anyway, one thing that I and the observer pick d up was my positioning, specifically arcing my runs more to always keep play between myself and my assistants.

I’m happy with arcing my runs, but my question is, when teams favour playing on the wing, I.e almost directly on the touch line, should I still be trying to keep play between myself and my assistants Even though I risk getting in the way of play, or having to leave the field of play entirely, or should I hang back a bit more and open my body up so that I can get a better view of the goal etc, and thus be able to check for any flags with a quick turn of the head, rather that completely turning my body?

I know it’s one of those where it depends on the game etc.

The Referee Store
I could be completely incorrect in this but what I've found seems to work for me is stay slightly right when they're on the left wing, then sprint left as they cut inside to ensure you have the best angle at all times.

Thanks, I did try this, but will make more of an effort during my next game, when hopefully the pitch will be in a better condition and the teams will be better

@zarathustra No worries, did take some time to get used to. My thinking is it's better to be to the right of them but slightly behind so you have an angle, and cross over ASAP so you maximise you angle. Also helpful for seeing if a foul is in or out of the penalty area if you get the crossover right.

Really does depend on the skill levels of the teams. I'd have no problem getting VERY left (even slightly off the pitch) on a Sunday morning game where players are keen to kick lumps out of each other but unable to pass it more than 20 yards ... whereas I've been on some U18 games with FL teams where the players are perfectly capable of pinging it in a pinpoint fashion 50 yards out to the right wing. Getting too left in this scenario is a recipe for disaster no matter how fit you are!

It's referred to now as the "lazy S", compared to the traditional diagonal. If you always keep the ball between you and your assistant you may well end up too wide, the days of running out on or even beyond the left hand touchline are long gone. Go out there if the play dictates it, but not routinely as if play is pinged to the opposite touchline you have a big problem on your hands. Certainly as play gets closer to the penalty area you need to come more in field, hence the lazy S.

Back