A&H

AR Offside - When to Flag?

Harey

Hi,

Definitely, a newbie AR question. As a Busmans Holiday, I always get the Club Linesman role, when I watch my sons play, based on "your qualified to do this".

Anyway, I was recommended on the course to flag when it was inevitable that an offside player would get to the ball, even before they actually did.

The reason for asking, in a recent game the ball comes over high up the field, striker off-side runs onto it with no one else around, and I flag as he's a few meters off. Striker sees the flag, and halts run. After the game, the ref spoke to me and said I flagged before he touched the ball.

What would be every ones advice?

Thanks
Chris

The Referee Store
You did the right thing. If clearly no one else from the attacking team is going to get the ball but the striker then get it flagged unless it is definitely going to reach keeper and striker has no chance. If there is even a remote chance of a collision get it flagged. No point in the ref chasing down an attack that doesn't exist.
I am certain there used to be some guideline about this in the lotg but the only reference to wait and see is regarding fouls.

I am certain there used to be some guideline about this
There still is - it's on page 204 of the LotG 2018/19 edition:
A player in an offside position may be penalised before playing or touching the ball, if, in the opinion of the referee, no other team-mate in an onside position has the opportunity to play the ball.

Since Law 6 says that the AR indicates when:
a player in an offside position may be penalised

I think that as an AR, you are entitled to flag when the scenario on page 204 applies.

Sorry, just noticed that you say you are a club AR. Just be aware that, in many areas, CAR's are not supposed to indicate for offside offences. Of course, if you've been clearly and specifically instructed otherwise, then have at it.

Last edited:
There still is - it's on page 204 of the LotG 2018/19 edition:

Since Law 6 says that the AR indicates when:

I think that as an AR, you are entitled to flag when the scenario on page 204 applies.

Sorry, just noticed that you say you are a club AR. Just be aware that, in many areas, CAR's are not supposed to indicate for offside offences. Of course, if you've been clearly and specifically instructed otherwise, then have at it.
Knew it. Not sure how I managed to overlook but the exact passage I was looking for.

Agree with the others generally - what you did would have been textbook for a NAR.

When you're a club AR however, you have to remember that the ref in that situation CANNOT assume you're qualified or 100% neutral. So in that situation, a club AR flagging for offside when no one's near the ball might come across as a little too eager to get involved?

Thanks @Peter Grove for pointing out the page in the LotG, as I've been searching for some 'official' guidance.

When I am a Club Linesman, I am usually asked for flag for ball out of play and offsides. I do declare I am (recently) qualified to the assigned ref, and hopefully give some confidence that I am not just a Dad that will stand in one place all game!

A late flag is good but always keep in mind an early flag when the offside striker is sprinting through on goal as the keeper is running out - this could prevent a nasty clash and also a question of giving a foul which could be a penalty and/or red card situation, even though he was offside

Back