A&H

AR observations

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
What's the expected score for an AR observation (3W but imagine it's similar to L4 AR expectations)?

I've never been observed as AR before but was pleased with a 72 and only thing to improve was flagging with my right hand (something I was doing only for offsides because a coach for my 7-6 told me to do that wrongly)

A&H International
What do you mean flagging with your right hand? As in you were only flagging offsides with your right and were doing GKs with your left?

72 is a reasonable score, but won't set the world alight. If you're in a merit table you'd be needing to be pushing in the direction of 73 to have a chance at the top end.

What do you mean flagging with your right hand? As in you were only flagging offsides with your right and were doing GKs with your left?

72 is a reasonable score, but won't set the world alight. If you're in a merit table you'd be needing to be pushing in the direction of 73 to have a chance at the top end.
Yes... because I'd been told that's what I should've been doing lol

Yeah I'm not a promotion candidate this season and it's my first line above the local men's county league level so I'm happy!

Yes... because I'd been told that's what I should've been doing lol

Yeah I'm not a promotion candidate this season and it's my first line above the local men's county league level so I'm happy!
We only learn things when we're told them, so just one to remember, but yeah best practice is for non arm dependent flag signals to be done with right arm (presuming running LBs) so that the referee and you can have that eye contact easier etc.

72 isn't a bad score for a first time. Well done.

Last edited:
72 is around about an average score you can expect with some good practise on show. Do you get to see merit tables as that will give you a better indication of where you are against your peers.

Assuming the form is the same each competency is equal so I guess you've been marked up in around 4 competency areas with minor advice in one .

We only learn things when we're told them, so just one to remember, but yeah best practice is for non arm dependent flag signals to be done with right arm (presuming running LBs) so that the referee and you can have that eye contact easier etc.

72 isn't a bad score for a first time. Well done.
Thanks! I'm not upset about the arm thing to be honest, observer understood and still gave me a 7.0 for that competency. Glad I know now!

72 is around about an average score you can expect with some good practise on show. Do you get to see merit tables as that will give you a better indication of where you are against your peers.

Assuming the form is the same each competency is equal so I guess you've been marked up in around 4 competency areas with minor advice in one .
I don't think I get to see the tables, certainly never been pointed out to me.

Back