A&H

Appointments - Bids system

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
I recall some mention on the forum of a bids style system to refereeing appointments
A departure from the traditional RefSec approach
Spout up if you've come across such a thing and how it works
I have someone whose doing some sort of dissertation on aspects of refereeing

The Referee Store
No such luck for me, the promotion boys got the easy games and I was brought in with security to the arse end between traditional trouble clubs and hostile derbies. Rarely did I go without a card,

Bids? Who the f$#@ is going to decide who the highest bidder is, and what about the spotted dick v the laughing cow relegation decider from league six....who'd bid for that fixture?
More nonsense

@santa sangria , was it you who mentioned such a system?
Not bidding as such but AFAIK Finland's TASO system is built on Torneopal's platform https://www.torneopal.com/ - albeit probably heavily customised after years in action.

(I've worked on tournaments that have used Torneopal that have had the same referee "marketplace" we have in the Finnish footy set up...)

Part of the system is a "marketplace" for referees. We refer to it as "buying" and "selling" games but there's no bidding or buying as such.

The system is quite incredible. I can see my whole match history and financial history, all payslips, assessor notes, fitness test results etc etc... but the "marketplace" is probably the most "valuable".

Of course, I can see my upcoming matches in one view. But, if I can't make a match (or a sequence of matches on the same day grouped together) then I can just hit the "sell" button. I can choose to "sell" it to a specific colleague (they will have to accept next time they log in) or to have it put on the "marketplace" (which we call something like "openings" in Finnish.

The marketplace has a list of all the available games that other refs/ARs want to "sell". I can search the list by location, division, pitch etc. I can see who the teams, other refs, selling ref etc. are and I can click to buy. I get an error if I am not qualified.

Of course, we also have a F***book group where we beg each other to take difficult games, and some off the system friendlies get posted. Rarely, on really hard weekends when there are lots of spare matches, someone will offer extra cash if someone else will cover a game they have been scheduled.

AFAIK all out scheduling is done in the same system. We state how many match events we want per week, we can block days/times and then our masters work their magic. I don't know how much Torneopal's system helps scheduling with location data etc. (but it does automatically give us our milage based on GPS data of our homes and pitches)

Your chum should get on the blower and get a demo from Torneopal ;)

Not bidding as such but AFAIK Finland's TASO system is built on Torneopal's platform https://www.torneopal.com/ - albeit probably heavily customised after years in action.

(I've worked on tournaments that have used Torneopal that have had the same referee "marketplace" we have in the Finnish footy set up...)

Part of the system is a "marketplace" for referees. We refer to it as "buying" and "selling" games but there's no bidding or buying as such.

The system is quite incredible. I can see my whole match history and financial history, all payslips, assessor notes, fitness test results etc etc... but the "marketplace" is probably the most "valuable".

Of course, I can see my upcoming matches in one view. But, if I can't make a match (or a sequence of matches on the same day grouped together) then I can just hit the "sell" button. I can choose to "sell" it to a specific colleague (they will have to accept next time they log in) or to have it put on the "marketplace" (which we call something like "openings" in Finnish.

The marketplace has a list of all the available games that other refs/ARs want to "sell". I can search the list by location, division, pitch etc. I can see who the teams, other refs, selling ref etc. are and I can click to buy. I get an error if I am not qualified.

Of course, we also have a F***book group where we beg each other to take difficult games, and some off the system friendlies get posted. Rarely, on really hard weekends when there are lots of spare matches, someone will offer extra cash if someone else will cover a game they have been scheduled.

AFAIK all out scheduling is done in the same system. We state how many match events we want per week, we can block days/times and then our masters work their magic. I don't know how much Torneopal's system helps scheduling with location data etc. (but it does automatically give us our milage based on GPS data of our homes and pitches)

Thanks Santa
Christmas is long gone, but you keep on delivering 🎅

Sounds great! I assume if you're signed up to multiple leagues then it looks after your times and stops you being double-booked?

Sounds great! I assume if you're signed up to multiple leagues then it looks after your times and stops you being double-booked?
It's all one unified system. So, all the "official" games are in there for the whole country, from the prem down to U7 and including hobby leagues and futsal (exceptions are most non-FA organized tournaments). I can pop the calendar and see who is refereeing... well, I just opened it and checked e.g. that one Daniel is in the middle for a women's premier friendly on Saturday in the Aland islands - just because, well, I could, for you;) I am eyeing up a futsal playoff that's available just around the corner on 28th with a ref who is great to work with - I just need a good line for Ms Sangria;)

But yes, there is a personal calendar where you can block out times/days and all your matches automatically appear - it also adds matches for the team(s) you play for or coach automatically based on your registration so you don't get double booked with them.

(AFAIK we also have a unified registration system where we register as refs, players, coaches and can buy insurance - that it is (either) synced (or provided by) Torneopal (I don't know for sure)... I believe we switched so for the last few years we have had FIFA IDs.)

Oh and you can add any blacklist teams so you don't get scheduled their matches. I used to do this with my ex-team and brother-in-laws' team. You can also block out whole leagues. At a certain level (IIRC top 3 tiers) then you are automatically barred from officiating in the same division, even different groups.

There is also the complete list of every registered official from the talents on the telly down to the teenagers who do the "game supervision" for kids' matches. You can see transparently everyone's level (which in our world is separate for mens, womens, boys, girls, ref, AR and separate again for futsal. This also makes it easy to track down a free ref when the season is very busy.

Though, if you are reading this lads back at HQ, the system needs a few tweaks: my fitness test score hasn't been updated since 2016 and is missing my 2019 5.09 best in the 40m and 16.1 pass in the yo-yo, and you could add my 8,93 in the CODA, and I should really be M2 AET and P2 ET. Go on, you know I won't let you down!

Back