A&H

Junior/Youth Another game

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
Seems my luck at the minute with incidents happening in games.

First half goes swimmingly well, coaches on the away team already shouting at decisions but unless they want a free-kick given every 10 seconds, not much I can do.

The 2nd half is where all my trouble starts.

58th minute I give a free-kick for a handball whereby, as the away goalkeeper has flicked up the ball outside his area, he handles it before then catching it inside his area. Ironically the one player who doesn't complain, the goalkeeper.

Home Team score from the resulting free-kick and as such outrage from parents, an annoying club lino and coaches. One coach earns himself a yellow for dissent, he was also about 3/4 metres on the pitch, not sure that warrants a red card though?

69th minute I send a player from the Away Team off for Violent conduct. He's been tackled and fallen to the floor then decides to kick out at another player, no complaints except from the parents who somehow didn't see it 🤣

Being a league cup game, it goes to extra time. Home Team score in the 2nd period and I blow the whistle for full time.

A few handshakes from the players not many, Home coaches shake my hands etc, so does the away team coach. Then the away team manager comes over and starts telling me "I've ruined the game" and telling me how I'm a "joke". He earns himself a yellow for dissent, refuses to give me his name so earns himself a second yellow and a red. Eventually worked out his name from the team sheet even if it was hard to make out.

Then some spectators telling me that I can't make the right decision etc etc.

Seems to be my luck at the moment and it's one of those games where you come away thinking why do I still do this?

Trying to keep my head up and also learn from it, maybe I need to set a precedent from the beginning with managers and coaches to try and prevent this again.

The Referee Store
First half goes swimmingly well, coaches on the away team already shouting at decisions but unless they want a free-kick given every 10 seconds, not much I can do.
Swimmingly well, did it? 🙂
The 2nd half is where all my trouble starts.
I was going to start here and say your trouble didn't start in the 2nd half. It started in the first... what happened was an escalation. But you have already suggested what you could do in future:
Trying to keep my head up and also learn from it, maybe I need to set a precedent from the beginning with managers and coaches to try and prevent this again.

Home Team score from the resulting free-kick and as such outrage from parents, an annoying club lino and coaches. One coach earns himself a yellow for dissent, he was also about 3/4 metres on the pitch, not sure that warrants a red card though?
In law this is a red card
Then the away team manager comes over and starts telling me "I've ruined the game" and telling me how I'm a "joke". He earns himself a yellow for dissent, refuses to give me his name so earns himself a second yellow and a red. Eventually worked out his name from the team sheet even if it was hard to make out.
Also a red card, as I read it.

Great summary, and reflection. Try to bear in mind that unchallenged behaviour rarely gets better and commonly deteriorates. Don't be afraid to have a word when it's getting close, rather than wait for the actual offence to happen. A quick word reminding them of their responsibility might just reign them back in

Great summary, and reflection. Try to bear in mind that unchallenged behaviour rarely gets better and commonly deteriorates. Don't be afraid to have a word when it's getting close, rather than wait for the actual offence to happen. A quick word reminding them of their responsibility might just reign them back in
Yeah I completely agree that I should've had a word. In all honesty by the end of the game I was intimidated and realised afterwards that I should've sent both off immediately. Its a learning curve always and making mistakes are the only way to get better.

Thank you though for your words of advice, much appreciated 🙏

Setting more of a precedent before the game and reminding them of the expectations I guess.
Was just a question to provoke thought. Chin up! :) Plenty of people out there who'll happily whine at you for the sake of it, just keep plugging away - you wouldn't be on this forum if you weren't willing to develop, and talking is always a part of that

Setting more of a precedent before the game and reminding them of the expectations I guess.

I’d suggest that is not necessarily the best course of action. I know why you’re thinking along those lines, and it’s admirable. But…

Be careful what you do say otherwise you make things tricky for yourself, if they believe you have done the opposite or not done what (they thought) you said you had.

Keep it high level; subs at a break in play, give me a clear call beforehand please. If I’ve restarted we’ll do it next time.

Keep your powder dry as the saying goes. If you need to go over and settle it down, do so. This way you’re not a hostage to fortune and committing yourself to a course of action that could quickly spiral out of your control again.

I’d suggest that is not necessarily the best course of action. I know why you’re thinking along those lines, and it’s admirable. But…

Be careful what you do say otherwise you make things tricky for yourself, if they believe you have done the opposite or not done what (they thought) you said you had.

Keep it high level; subs at a break in play, give me a clear call beforehand please. If I’ve restarted we’ll do it next time.

Keep your powder dry as the saying goes. If you need to go over and settle it down, do so. This way you’re not a hostage to fortune and committing yourself to a course of action that could quickly spiral out of your control again.
Yeah I do agree and I should've been more proactive and gone over to have a word with the coaching staff in a break to calm it down. Better to learn that lesson now!

Swimmingly well, did it? 🙂

I was going to start here and say your trouble didn't start in the 2nd half. It started in the first... what happened was an escalation. But you have already suggested what you could do in future:

In law this is a red card

Also a red card, as I read it.

Going back to this sorry, what would both red card offences be under? Both confronting?

Low level dissent. You have to act. If you pretend to ignore it you will lose. As soon as it starts you need to take control. Stepped approach starts immediately.

Pause the match, verbal warning. If it’s egregious then use your cards straight away.

And really, I have been slow to learn this, in challenging OA fixtures, you need to come hard and early. Be assertive from the kick off. Dominate your decisions and especially non-decisions. Deal with any nonsense, don’t ignore!

Yes but with the first one what would it have come under because he hasn't exactly confronted me. And then has he really interfered, I guess he has?
I did think entering FoP for any form of remonstration was a dismissal. Therefore, dissent behind the white line, yellow, over it, red - even if it doesn’t qualify as OFFINABUS.

That is likely incorrect though so someone might want to verify.

Deliberately leaving the technical area to show dissent.

In most of the games I do, TAs are marked out. So on the pitch, has clearly lef the TA. I think in the absence of a marked TA, deliberately entering the entering the pitch qualifies as having left the TA.

And the 2nd one I assumed it was on the pitch as you were shaking hands with others and I read it as he has confronted you.

And then you havent said what was actually said so even it it doesn't tick the enter/leave boxes there doesn't sound like he was politely complementing you on your game.

Deliberately leaving the technical area to show dissent.

In most of the games I do, TAs are marked out. So on the pitch, has clearly lef the TA. I think in the absence of a marked TA, deliberately entering the entering the pitch qualifies as having left the TA.

And the 2nd one I assumed it was on the pitch as you were shaking hands with others and I read it as he has confronted you.

And then you havent said what was actually said so even it it doesn't tick the enter/leave boxes there doesn't sound like he was politely complementing you on your game.
Yeah I didn't realise that both should be a red card. I always worry though that showing a red card, particularly to coaches, will just increase the tensions of the game.

I've learnt a lot from just this game in particular, many valuable lessons.

A few handshakes from the players not many, Home coaches shake my hands etc, so does the away team coach. Then the away team manager comes over and starts telling me "I've ruined the game" and telling me how I'm a "joke". He earns himself a yellow for dissent, refuses to give me his name so earns himself a second yellow and a red. Eventually worked out his name from the team sheet even if it was hard to make out.
You need to ensure that the fact he refused to give his name is added to any reports. It is not your responsibility to find out their name, they are required to give it. The CFA may decide to add a further offence on for this.

AND given we are now in the "points deduction" era for misconduct, this may be the first of the two charges which will result in the points deduction.

You need to ensure that the fact he refused to give his name is added to any reports. It is not your responsibility to find out their name, they are required to give it. The CFA may decide to add a further offence on for this.

AND given we are now in the "points deduction" era for misconduct, this may be the first of the two charges which will result in the points deduction.
Worked out his name anyways afterwards but I have already added that into the report anyways 😁

I hope that something comes of it but I have little faith.

I always worry though that showing a red card, particularly to coaches, will just increase the tensions of the game.

Although we should be sensitive to the temperature of the match, we should not artificially change decisions simply to avoid a temperature increase. From my experience, it is rare that giving a red card for a nailed-on red-card offense increases the temperature after the game restarts. There will likely be an immediate, emotional reaction to the red card, but most of the time that settles pretty quickly and everyone gets the message that you're not one to be trifled with.

Back