A&H

Another 1st game post

Bluenarch

Hello everyone, long time lurker. Finally did my course this summer and got involved in my first game this afternoon. I decided to throw myself in at the deep end and go for OA football up here in Norfolk. It certainly was an interesting start - cup game, 3rd div versus 4th div teams, 4th div team won 2-0 (and were the away team), home team didn't like it when I sent their midfielder to the sin bin for 10 minutes for throwing the ball down when annoyed at a decision! Didn't get any home team handshakes afterwards and a few snide comments once off the pitch....

I was glad to get away to be honest and hope I don't feel so crap afterwards next time. Being called "dogshit" by one of the supporters was nice...

Couple of things I've noted I need to improve though, anyone have any tips?

1. Fouls around headers / jumping
Maybe because I didn't head the ball much when I played, but has anyone got any tips to look for fouls when players are going up for challenges? I found that tough today and a few players were moaning all game about me playing on or calling 50/50. I kept on trying to let the game flow and blow my whistle as little as possible - perhaps I need to get tougher.

2. Post-match misconduct
One player after the game (and off the pitch by now) did give me a sarcastic "well done ref" - I've decided to not bother including that on the misconduct report - is that something I need to be doing?

Thank you all so much for your advice on here that I've read over the last couple of months - it obviously wasn't directed at me as I haven't posted before, but all of it has helped get me to the course, through it and onto the pitch today :)

Th

The Referee Store
Well done getting stuck in. Hope you enjoyed parts of it. Trust me - we all had this type of story starting out.

Don’t worry too much about the headers/jumping/“in the back ref”...it comes with experience. Positioning will help - and that will also come with experience + coaching/observations/mentoring if possible.

Post match - it’s never predicable, and don’t worry too much about it unless it gets out of hand. Players/managers are frustrated after losing or having a bad game. A sarcastic “well done ref” is really not a big deal. Smile and extend your hand. If a player is having a proper go at me after the final whistle - “you were awful” “worst ref ever” I remind them loudly they can still receive yellow and red cards until I have left the FOP and extend my hand wishing them a nice afternoon. Usually stops them....if not it’s a card and I have done both yellow and red cards after the final whistle. It’s only misconduct if it’s a team official or anything after you leave the FOP.

Firstly welcome to the gang! And congrats on getting the first match under your belt. Always a tough one, never mind a doing an OA for your first ever game. So well done.

As for the aerial challenges, what I found to be really helpful is to get a side view where the action will be. Try to get that 45 degrees view as it will massively help. You will be better placed to observe an y potential fouls/misconduct. Also it may help to provide a verbal warning if you know an impact is about to happen, then no one is surprise you’ve blown for a foul.

Don’t worry about the comments, and the handshakes. You’re not there to be friends, by all means be polite, respectful but you don’t and you won’t be their friend so don’t worry about it. As for the sarcastic well done ref, remeber by law you are entitled to issue cards till you get off the pitch! So if need maybe go for it, I ended double carding a player after the game for an outburst against my assistant and then shouting eff off ref! So it can be done if you need.

In your particular case, I think you did the right thing. You will learn to develop what I like to call selective hearing. During the game, he’ll get a royal dress down and maybe a card if I’m feeling generous, after the game in my personal opinion you are inviting unnecessary attention to yourself and potentially further conflict.

I never look for handshakes at the end of the game, that way I am not disappointed and I find that I am pleasantly surprised when players shake my hand.
Getting used to aerial challenges and the like will come with practice.
Well done for the first game.

Some games will go well, some games will go badly, but whatever happens the next game is only a week away.

No need to worry about anything that's happened today. Think about what you could do better next time yes, but certainly don't worry about it.

Smile and take no s***.

Well done getting stuck in. Hope you enjoyed parts of it. Trust me - we all had this type of story starting out.

Don’t worry too much about the headers/jumping/“in the back ref”...it comes with experience. Positioning will help - and that will also come with experience + coaching/observations/mentoring if possible.

Post match - it’s never predicable, and don’t worry too much about it unless it gets out of hand. Players/managers are frustrated after losing or having a bad game. A sarcastic “well done ref” is really not a big deal. Smile and extend your hand. If a player is having a proper go at me after the final whistle - “you were awful” “worst ref ever” I remind them loudly they can still receive yellow and red cards until I have left the FOP and extend my hand wishing them a nice afternoon. Usually stops them....if not it’s a card and I have done both yellow and red cards after the final whistle. It’s only misconduct if it’s a team official or anything after you leave the FOP.

Feck em, move on to next week

I'd say it's not realistic for you to do great in your first game, or your 50th for that matter. Only experience will desensitize you to these 'normal' comments. Make a note of a couple of things you wished you did differently and get back out there. It really is staggering the frequency with which players say 'in the back ref' :yawn:

The jumping for headers thing will come with experience. Just remember (and it’s good to remind players) that it’s a contact sport and it’s almost impossible for 2 opposing players to jump for the same ball without contact.

Key things to look out for ...
- Arms/hands in the back, even if it’s because they think a player is backing into them
- Players looking (or not looking) and the ball when jumping. If they are jumping with their eyes on the man not the ball, then they aren’t playing the ball.

Again, it’ll come with experience by 9 times out of 10, the player who loses the contested header will probably argue that they were push or just give out a meanginless ‘ref!’ call. Just stay confident and play on!

Confidence in yourself is key to refereeing. Even if you might think you’re wrong, make sure the players know you’re right

Don't forget your positioning - you want to try to have a side-on view to aerial challenges.

I wouldn't worry about 'well done ref'. Sarcastic comments aren't really worth worrying too much about usually. But if post-match dissent occurs on the field, you can still card. Don't be afraid to - too many players think the final whistle mean it's a free-for-all on the ref.

One tip is not to follow the ball in the air when the ball leaves the keeper's boot. Quickly gauge where he ball will land and observe the area where the ball will land, making sure you are getting into the best position to see any fouls

It really is staggering the frequency with which players say 'in the back ref' :yawn:
Any contact you will hear that shout. You will also miss some as you sometimes can not get in the right position to see them. Players seem to think you have Xray vision and can see through them!

Don't forget your positioning - you want to try to have a side-on view to aerial challenges.

I wouldn't worry about 'well done ref'. Sarcastic comments aren't really worth worrying too much about usually. But if post-match dissent occurs on the field, you can still card. Don't be afraid to - too many players think the final whistle mean it's a free-for-all on the ref.
Correct, I sent quite a few off after final whistle

Thanks for all of your advice - I made a point of trying to get side on a lot more today and felt a lot better about managing the game this time round. I felt like the tip about looking at the challenge (rather than the ball) really worked! I got handshakes this time from both teams despite a 4-0 defeat for the home team so I guess that’s a bit more of a barometer for judging my performance 😂

The CFA sent a supply League observer down today to watch me and give me some help at the start, half time and end of that game. On his recommendation I’m going to sort out about getting a mentor and join the local RA. A lot to learn but enjoying it so far!

Back