A&H

And we thought we had seen everything.....

The Referee Store
Odd one for sure.

I don't think it ticks any boxes for a straight red. Could be 2 yellows in some specific circumstances but not sure if they might apply here.

I think you could justify red for DOGSO, but not that wide on the pitch. And a double-yellow might be possible if it was a sub who entered without permission, but again that doesn't look to be the case. I think the ref has just applied the "that's a ****ty thing to do" law and pulled a red card without really thinking through how to report it!

I think is give a yellow for USB and have a very low tolerance level for any reaction so I could produce a second yellow for dissent. Feels like it should be a straight red but obviously there's nothing in law allowing it

I think I'd send the player to the nearest mental health facility
That said, it's a remarkably good shot to hit the target when throwing an object at a moving ball

OFFINABUS. That was an offensive act . . . ;)

I agree in Law it is nothing more than caution--SPAA or USB. Maybe we need a catch all red akin to USB for cautions for behavior grossly inconsistent with the norms of the Game. I would also think (hope) a competition would come down in sanctioning the behavior.

(And what is the player thinking--that when a ball interferes it is a DB?)

I'm struggling to think of a justification for a straight red.

Any object thrown at the ball (and touches it) is classed as a handball, maybe a very strenuous DOGSO-H?

I wonder if we will see an update to the laws to cover this in the future?

I'm struggling to think of a justification for a straight red.

Any object thrown at the ball (and touches it) is classed as a handball, maybe a very strenuous DOGSO-H?

I wonder if we will see an update to the laws to cover this in the future?

Nope--not anymore. Would be DOGSO-F, but that's a huge stretch giving the positioning. Recent amendments created a separate DFK offense for throwing something at the ball: "throws an object at the ball, an opponent or a match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object "

(I believe the change was actually to make it easier to punish a GK for this in the PA. Wild musing: so if the GK has his glove off and is holding it as it catches the ball, is it a PK if the ball touches the glove?!? Hmmm.)

It can't be more than a yellow, but the next time that player so much as sneezes out of place you find him another one.

Back