A&H

Advice?

micky2001

I joined a league at the start of the season and was getting offered games fairly regularly, however, due to weather they were called off. Now that we've got into the business end of the season, i was expecting a lot more games, however, they're drying up for me. I have a feeling that the league may not be giving them to me because of the reports I'm submitting.

I know a few refs in the league who say they don't submit reports if they show cards and I know others who almost refuse to show cards on the field even for things like VC. This means that I'm submitting more reports than they are which makes me look card happy. Speaking to a few friends who used to ref in the league, it seems that the refs who submit reports are getting less and less games as it is like we are giving the disciplinary panel more work, but the way I see it, if I don't caution/send off/report where appropriate, the disciplinary will get worse.

Anyone else experienced this problem before?

The Referee Store
Gotta ask yourself, is it worth being involved in a league that operates like you suspect?

Flip side, could just be that they are prioritising their long known and more experienced refs first? Just being devils advocate a minute.

interesting issue. i know i will get criticised for this, but my mindset is that i only use cards when i absolutely have to, rather than looking for an opportunity to card people. not saying that's what you do, but my approach is definitely "do i have to card him?".

the reason for this is that i referee the 2nd division of the world's worst league. the players are terrible, the games are hilarious and in general it's quite good-natured. while never forgetting that it is ultimately a league, i also know that dishing out handfuls of cards isn't really conducive to facilitating the game. that said, sometimes you have to use cards to retain control.

depending on the level you're officiating at maybe there's a happy medium to be found between orthodox application of law and alienating players/coaches. maybe.

Gotta ask yourself, is it worth being involved in a league that operates like you suspect?

Flip side, could just be that they are prioritising their long known and more experienced refs first? Just being devils advocate a minute.

I initially thought that might be the case and could appreciate that, however, there are 4 refs I know of that have been let go by the league due to them submitting cards. They are now advanced to cat 4 here so they are doing something right in the new leagues that they're being promoted up the ladder.

It is my aim to go to OA next season since the league is, although well run, full of managers who cannot face defeat and it's always the refs fault. I appreciate that this may happen at other levels but I'd rather do OA games since that is where I will be assessed and will be the type of football I hope to end up officiating.

interesting issue. i know i will get criticised for this, but my mindset is that i only use cards when i absolutely have to, rather than looking for an opportunity to card people. not saying that's what you do, but my approach is definitely "do i have to card him?".

the reason for this is that i referee the 2nd division of the world's worst league. the players are terrible, the games are hilarious and in general it's quite good-natured. while never forgetting that it is ultimately a league, i also know that dishing out handfuls of cards isn't really conducive to facilitating the game. that said, sometimes you have to use cards to retain control.

depending on the level you're officiating at maybe there's a happy medium to be found between orthodox application of law and alienating players/coaches. maybe.

I do try my best to keep my cards in my pocket but for things like blatant dissent, handball, calling me a cheat and DOGSO which is all I've carded for, I don't think I could do anything not to card.

It is u17 and below but they laws are there for everyone as has been previously mentioned in other threads, although with young ages I try to educate before carding.

I don't know why you'd get criticized for that. It's the right attitude to take. As for the league itself, if they don't want you because you report your bookings, then you don't want them. What's more, there is no way that they don't know there are more bookings than are being reported. Surely they go out and watch some matches?

Might be worth dropping your RDO an email, they will always support you in applying the LOTG correctly.

I will speak to colleagues next week for advice with the view to leaving the league I'm currently in and being "leagueless" for the rest if the season. This isn't ideal for me, but I know I can get a few games through a contact until I find a senior league for next season. Although the league I'm thinking if leaving is very well run, I don't feel that there is the same respect from managers compared to other leagues that are further from me.

Just like magic, I've been recommended to an amateur league for next season :) couldn't be happier

Reactions: SM
Back