A&H

Junior/Youth Adverse weather - advice

Hendrie1985

Been reading the forum for a while however only just joined so not sure if correct forum.

I have an under 17 Scottish Cup tie tomorrow afternoon and the weather for central scotland is forecast to be horrendous. Predictions are 60mph winds and heavy rain. The game is on a 4g surface so that shouldn't be an issue.

The concern from the home club is the safety of the players in respect of the cold and wet conditions and the travelling side are around 60 miles away (journey should be around 90 minutes). I have said that I will see what the forecast is in the morning however would you be inclined to call the game off if the same conditions are forecast in order that the away team don't have to travel? In 4 years I've not had this scenario so a bit unsure. I'm also wary that they travel and I have to abandon the match. Thanks in advance.

The Referee Store
Are you expected to be the one who makes the decision in the morning? It's a little complicated by the fact that it is a 4G surface so presumably the decision is based upon overhead conditions. Perhaps you should seek some advice fom an experienced colleague in your area.

To: 0600 on Sun 6 December
Southwesterly severe gales will affect much of northern England, north Wales, Northern Ireland, southern and central Scotland at times during Saturday and overnight into Sunday.

This warning has been updated to separate from Friday's warning, and to increase the expected impacts to medium. The worst conditions seem likely to be during Saturday afternoon and evening across parts of northern England, southeast Scotland and perhaps northeast Wales and the northwest Midlands. Here gusts to around 70 mph are possible even at lower levels, with hills seeing even higher gusts. Elsewhere in the warning area, gusts are likely to be around 60 mph, with some less windy interludes, especially through central parts of Scotland.Please be aware of the likelihood of travel disruption on roads and ferry routes. Winds may be strong enough to bring down trees and perhaps cause damage to buildings and other structures. A period of heavy rain will also affect much of the area, for which see separate warnings.

My emphasis. For me, no match, but review in the morning before the away team need to travel.

Thanks for the responses. I will contact a local referee when I finish work. If the forecast is still the same in the morning then I'll probably call it off as the emphasis has been put on me

Well, here in Sussex the wind is a blowin, the rain is a fallin, the pitch will be a mud bath and the game will be a-ppalin. But I've had no call, no email, so I'm now leaving to arrive 9.20 for a 10am KO. What's the betting I'll be home by 10.30...?

I would take it upon myself to call the home manager to find out if the match is still on.

Back