A&H

Advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
If you think padfoot is right... you are an absolute joke. To even adopt the same mentality as him is Ridiculous.

Everything he has said ridicules the players in which you and I are going to officiate throughout the majority of our refereeing careers. How the hell do you lot agree with belittling grassroots footballers? These guys pay your match fees! These guys are the reason you have a whistle in your hands!

How do you agree with someone who's speaks so down on those that you step on a field with? The fact that you step on a field with them proves that you are no better than them... trust me, if you were better than them... you wouldn't be on this forum; you wouldn't be on the same pitch as them.

I genuinely can not believe what I read on here at times. Those in agreement with him, you should be ashamed in your attidudes.

Grassroots footballers may not be the best technically, but they have far much more heart and purpose than those you can only dream of stepping on the field with.

Have some respect!!!!

Last edited:
View attachment 1319

Just sat on the fence... watching the day go by!!! Waiting for round 11.....

You're on the fence? A grassroots "referee" belittling the grassroots community at any given opportunity? I suggest you get down from that fence and stare at it for a while. You often have a good and viable input on these threads... I'll be honest, to read that a few of you agree to this nonsense has actually filled me with disappointment. You've not just let me down here....

Nah, i'll let you lot battle it out, i'm up here scratching my balls....Its nice up here you don't have to be condescending to anyone!!!
I've lost the will to live with this one........:(

If you think padfoot is right... you are an absolute joke. To even adopt the same mentality as him is Ridiculous.

Everything he has said ridicules the players in which you and I are going to officiate throughout the majority of our refereeing careers. How the hell do you lot agree with belittling grassroots footballers? These guys pay your match fees! These guys are the reason you have a whistle in your hands!

How do you agree with someone who's speaks so down on those that you step on a field with? The fact that you step on a field with them proves that you are no better than them... trust me, if you were better than them... you wouldn't be on this forum; you wouldn't be on the same pitch as them.

I genuinely can not believe what I read on here at times. Those in agreement with him, you should be ashamed in your attidudes.

Grassroots footballers may not be the best technically, but they have far much more heart and purpose than those you can only dream of stepping on the field with.

Have some respect!!!!

You've contributed nothing to the debate other than to attack me personally....

Boring.

Let me guess....you still play?

That's because the discussion took a turn early on. A turn that I didn't want to get involved in.

Attack you personally: You're attacking thousands of people with your every post. The ignorance and self-righteousness that spills out of you is actually quite worrying.

I haven't played for two seasons, not that it matters. Regardless of whether I play or not, I appreciate those that I referee. I certainly wouldn't belittle them like you do on this forum!

Last edited:
That's because the discussion took a turn early on. A turn that I didn't want to get involved in.

Attack you personally: You're attacking thousands of people with your every post. The ignorance and self-righteousness that spills out of you is actually quite worrying.

I haven't played for two seasons, not that it matters. Regardless of whether I play or not, I appreciate those that I referee. I certainly wouldn't belittle them like you do on this forum!

So...are you seriously trying to tell us that the average Sunday morning pub player has the ability to make proper use of a "half advantage" on the halfway line, as opposed to their team having greater benefit from being to launch the ball into their opponents PA?

Either you have some of the most talented pub teams in the country in your leagues....or your're just deliberately taking offence at a brutal truth that your romantic notion of grassroots football simply cannot handle.

Either way, your sole contribution to the whole discussionhas been to come on here and attack the man, not the argument.......which pretty much tells me you don't have a coherent argument one way or the other....not that I expected anything less.
Anyway, if you've quite finished trying to slag me, the grown ups were having a discussion......

At Sunday league level it's not uncommon to have new teams who have come from youth football up against a team of grizzled vets.
I'm not sure what benefit those youngsters would get from the referee stopping play when they're breaking clear near halfway.

At Sunday league level it's not uncommon to have new teams who have come from youth football up against a team of grizzled vets.
I'm not sure what benefit those youngsters would get from the referee stopping play when they're breaking clear near halfway.

And that is why I have said all along.....play only appropriate advantages......etc etc etc.....

The reality is that the vast majority of "advantages" played at grassroots are played more because the referee thinks they have to play lots of advantage because the players "expect" it etc etc.....

I ha
So...are you seriously trying to tell us that the average Sunday morning pub player has the ability to make proper use of a "half advantage" on the halfway line, as opposed to their team having greater benefit from being to launch the ball into their opponents PA?

Either you have some of the most talented pub teams in the country in your leagues....or your're just deliberately taking offence at a brutal truth that your romantic notion of grassroots football simply cannot handle.

Either way, your sole contribution to the whole discussionhas been to come on here and attack the man, not the argument.......which pretty much tells me you don't have a coherent argument one way or the other....not that I expected anything less.
Anyway, if you've quite finished trying to slag me, the grown ups were having a discussion......

I had two goals scored following advantages in Sunday League last season, and both were from fouls in or near the middle of the pitch. On both occasions the fouled team had clear space to run into, had there been defenders in the way I wouldn't have played the advantage.

Also, one of the very few goals I ever scored from a player came from an advantage the referee played following a foul on OUR keeper. He caught the ball after being pushed, but immediately rolled it out to our right back who had acres of space to run into. He ran the length of the pitch, put a perfect cross in, and I was one of two players who had kept up with him and got on the end of the cross. I made a point of going over to the referee to thank him, which is fair to say he wasn't expecting. And I should also stress that we really weren't very good, and that game was a low level of Sunday League.

Referees need to be careful with advantage, that I have no arguments with, but an observer telling them not to use it unless a goal is about to be scored is just wrong, plain wrong.

I ha

I had two goals scored following advantages in Sunday League last season, and both were from fouls in or near the middle of the pitch. On both occasions the fouled team had clear space to run into, had there been defenders in the way I wouldn't have played the advantage.

Also, one of the very few goals I ever scored from a player came from an advantage the referee played following a foul on OUR keeper. He caught the ball after being pushed, but immediately rolled it out to our right back who had acres of space to run into. He ran the length of the pitch, put a perfect cross in, and I was one of two players who had kept up with him and got on the end of the cross. I made a point of going over to the referee to thank him, which is fair to say he wasn't expecting. And I should also stress that we really weren't very good, and that game was a low level of Sunday League.

Referees need to be careful with advantage, that I have no arguments with, but an observer telling them not to use it unless a goal is about to be scored is just wrong, plain wrong.

Or it's simply an over exaggeration designed to get people thinking about what really is an advantage and what isn't?

But that would obviously be too subtle for the precious snowflakes on here........

I am not just talking about the advantage situation. On pretty much every thread, you always have something to say about those who you officiate. You ridicule them. You belittle them and you make out that you are better than them. It pisses me off! You obviously don't know a thing about the game from any other view apart from your own! Have some respect, it's not hard.

Back to the topic, if you have a situation where you believe an advantage can be gained after an Infringement has taken place, play it. If the team waste your attempt to let the game flow, there is your indicator that it may be more beneficial to award the team with a free kick next time. You don't just go into every game thinking they are a bunch of Sunday morning pub players!

I am not just talking about the advantage situation. On pretty much every thread, you always have something to say about those who you officiate. You ridicule them. You belittle them and you make out that you are better than them. It pisses me off! You obviously don't know a thing about the game from any other view apart from your own! Have some respect, it's not hard.

Back to the topic, if you have a situation where you believe an advantage can be gained after an Infringement has taken place, play it. If the team waste your attempt to let the game flow, there is your indicator that it may be more beneficial to award the team with a free kick next time. You don't just go into every game thinking they are a bunch of Sunday morning pub players![/QUOTE]
I have never once said that I am a better player than those I referee. So either provide a quote where I have said that, or provide an apology.

Even if they are? Even you have refereed them 15 times before and know exactly whay they are?

You still don't get the basic premise do you? You just keep focusing on your attempts to bad mouth me and completly missing the essential part of the debate.

If you can (which I highly doubt) put aside your desire to keep launching persona attacks on me, and go back, carefully read what I have posted about "advantage", the potential risk it poses for the inexperienced and/or promotion seeking referees and then formulate a reasoned argument against why it poses that risk....instead of your hysterical outbursts about "respect" and the worthy people that pay our fees week in week out.....those same people who believe that said payment entitles them to shout, swear and generally abuse us as "part of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back