A&H

Advantage

micky2001

Hypothetical question here.

Player commits a foul but the opponent manages to keep the ball so you play advantage. The very next kick he plays it to a teammate in an offside position. Do you give offside, or pull it back for initial foul?

The Referee Store
I would say give the offside, although it may depend on the nature of the game itself. However, the player still has control of the ball so he has a clear advantage, but it is his mistake in passing to a team mate in an offside position so he should not really have the free kick too - had he not been fouled, he probably would have still passed to that team mate anyway.

I would say give the offside, although it may depend on the nature of the game itself. However, the player still has control of the ball so he has a clear advantage, but it is his mistake in passing to a team mate in an offside position so he should not really have the free kick too - had he not been fouled, he probably would have still passed to that team mate anyway.

Thats true, however what if the foul occurs by preventing the pass when the team-mate is in an onside position and the delay means he runs into an offside position? If that was the case then I'd give the free kick, otherwise the offside.

You would give the initial foul. No advantage has occurred.

+1 drahc

There is a huge difference between keeping possession and advantage. Have a listen to the refereeworld podcast on the subject, really good.

With the scenario given, you have been a bit quick with your hypothetical advantage call. Sometimes better to just wait a second to make sure there is an advantage coming before signalling. As it is, bring it back for the Initial foul and calm the expected player moaning with a "sorry, thought I saw an advantage coming, my bad"

If the player has retained clean possession, had time and space to pick his pass, then plays it an offside team mate.....tough. Advantage given and wasted as opposed to not accrued.

If the player barely manages to stay on his feet, and in trying to bring the under control knocks it to an offside team mate, we are having the FK.

However if I saw the player barely staying on his feet, I'm not likely to be playing advantage until I see what happens next anyway.

I play very little advantage because certainly at grass roots level, unless the ball is getting tapped into the net, most teams will benefit from the set piece more than relying on the skill to go past players and score.
It changes as you go up through the ability levels of players but not by much until you hit the professional games really.

For me, I'm giving the original foul. No advantage has occurred if the next touch creates a defensive free-kick. This exact situation has happened to me in games before. Players fully understand why the offside flag (even from NAR) is ignored and the original foul given.

About advantage itself, an experienced ref & assessor uses the quote 'advantage is the biggest risk a referee will take, but the most rewarding feeling you'll have on the field'

Padfoot is right. Majority of grassroots players don't want/need/deserve advantage to be played, as they haven't got the skill level to effectively use that advantage.

Saying that, when used well, it's an incredible tool to carry. Always been one of my strengths, both according to clubs & assessors. Use it wisely, use it correctly - and don't be afraid of it!!

a question from an inexperienced ref.

whether grassroots level or not, is it within the authority of the referee to consider the preference of the attacking team when applying the advantage rule?

for example, there are lots of grassroots teams who like to pass the ball on the floor and would usually prefer to keep play moving. i find you can usually tell when this is the case quite early in a match. on the flip side a lot of teams will want a free kick in pretty much every circumstance because it gives them chance to get the ball in the box.

so to use a premier league analogy, would it be reasonable for me to apply the advantage rule more often for Swansea and give the free kick more often for Stoke?

a question from an inexperienced ref.

whether grassroots level or not, is it within the authority of the referee to consider the preference of the attacking team when applying the advantage rule?

for example, there are lots of grassroots teams who like to pass the ball on the floor and would usually prefer to keep play moving. i find you can usually tell when this is the case quite early in a match. on the flip side a lot of teams will want a free kick in pretty much every circumstance because it gives them chance to get the ball in the box.

so to use a premier league analogy, would it be reasonable for me to apply the advantage rule more often for Swansea and give the free kick more often for Stoke?

You do have to consider how the ability of a team may affect whether there is an actual advantage just the same as you would consider the position on the pitch of where the offence occurred. But you need to adopt a consistent approach to how you apply it.

That's why i find it generally much simpler to not play hardly any advantage unless the ball is literally about to be tapped into the net....or at worst a good 1 on 1 with the keeper!

Most inexperienced ref's keep trying to play far too much advantage......it's really not necessary, especially not at Sunday morning level.

But it feels sooooo good when it goes right from the advantage you saw!

:D

And yes, I agree you are correct.

i know what you're saying, and i agree that the line between possession and advantage is much clearer in lower standards of football.

however it also seems a tad unfair for me to bring the play back for a free kick on the basis that the winger in acres of space was more likely to shank it out for a throw in than find the unmarked striker in the middle. can you imagine the conversation?

"where's the advantage ref?!"
"you wouldn't know what to do with it anyway son, hoof it in the mixer."

If the player has retained clean possession, had time and space to pick his pass, then plays it an offside team mate.....tough. Advantage given and wasted as opposed to not accrued.

If the player barely manages to stay on his feet, and in trying to bring the under control knocks it to an offside team mate, we are having the FK.

However if I saw the player barely staying on his feet, I'm not likely to be playing advantage until I see what happens next anyway.

I play very little advantage because certainly at grass roots level, unless the ball is getting tapped into the net, most teams will benefit from the set piece more than relying on the skill to go past players and score.
It changes as you go up through the ability levels of players but not by much until you hit the professional games really.
+1 on this reply.

If the player had enough time to compose himself and then pass then I'd give the offside - if it was rushed and he was under pressure then I'd bring it back.

If the player had enough time to compose himself and then pass then I'd give the offside - if it was rushed and he was under pressure then I'd bring it back.

But no advantage had occurred?

Is maintaining possession necessarily a cause for calling advantage? No advantage has materialized in this case and the foul should be given.

I'm definitely on the side of this not being advantage. But if, as the original post suggests, you have already given advantage, you can't bring it back because the attackers next action negates the advantage already gained.

You can bring it back. You do, however, invite comment/dissent which you would get anyway for allowing the playing of a bad advantage!

It's better to bring it back than stick to your poorly conceived guns.

Back