A&H

Advantage from Sunday?

At the time, as per the o/p, I blew for offside, cue the blue team moaning big time, but they were like that anyway. It would certainly have been an easier 'sell' if I had brought play back for the original offence, but that was because the red team were much better behaved.
That said, I still think I was right to blow for the offside.

The Referee Store
Still don't agree.
At the end of the day, an offence has been committed. Why should the offending team get away with it because of a (potentially) naff advantage call by the ref? Like I said, if it's a good advantage and a promising attack or even a goal develops from it then you've allowed the offence to go unpunished in the interests of attacking football (not withstanding that you might still go back and caution the offender if the challenge was reckless) but nobody minds. The advantage you play, is an award to the attacking team as such, it's not penalising the offending team in anyway, and as such it's not then "unfair" to come back for the original FK. Not for me anyway. I understand what you're saying, but I think it's wrong. :):cool:

I am not sure what it is you are disagreeing with.

Let me put to you a common counter attack scenario (similar to OP). A striker is fouled from behind 25 yard out in the middles. He stays on his feet well balanced and less than a second later he has control of the ball. There is one back tracking defender in front of him 8 yards out and keeper in goal. He has left winger running through, but right winger in offside position. the striker has a number of very good options at this moment, take on the defender, have a shot from 25 yards, put the left winger through for a one on one (all better than a free kick).

I would signal advantage at this moment because he is now better of (in a number of ways) with playing advantage than a free kick. He passes the ball to the winger in offside position. I would give IFK for offside. Is this what you disagree with and you think I should bring bring play back for a foul?

Last edited:
I am not sure what it is you are disagreeing with.

Let me put to you a common counter attack scenario (similar to OP). A striker is fouled from behind 25 yard out in the middles. He stays on his feet well balanced and less than a second later he has control of the ball. There is one back tracking defender in front of him 8 yards out and keeper in goal. He has left winger running through, but right winger in offside position. the striker has a number of very good options at this moment, take on the defender, have a shot from 25 yards, put the left winger through for a one on one (all better than a free kick).

I would signal advantage at this moment because he is now better of (in a number of ways) with playing advantage than a free kick. He passes the ball to the winger in offside position. I would give IFK for offside. Is this what you disagree with and you think I should bring bring play back for a foul?
Think the reason that you and @Kes are disagreeing is that you're envisaging (slightly) different scenarios. The one you describe above is IMO a clear advantage, as you say. The attacker has a number of great options but wastes the advantage by choosing the wrong one. If instead, the only credible positive choice is to pass to the player in the offside position then, in reality, the advantage was never really there and the referee should just bring it back for the original free kick. In the OP, it's impossible to tell which of the two scenarios we had ... hence the debate! :)

Think the reason that you and @Kes are disagreeing is that you're envisaging (slightly) different scenarios. The one you describe above is IMO a clear advantage, as you say. The attacker has a number of great options but wastes the advantage by choosing the wrong one. If instead, the only credible positive choice is to pass to the player in the offside position then, in reality, the advantage was never really there and the referee should just bring it back for the original free kick. In the OP, it's impossible to tell which of the two scenarios we had ... hence the debate! :)

And, of course, if the player with possession has had to spend an extra second or two getting the ball under control, the player ahead of him (playing on the shoulder of the defender perhaps) has just stepped into an offside position that wouldn't have arisen had the ball been played immediately.

[
In the second scenario you would award the foul not because "the anticipated advantage does not ensue" but because there never was an advantage and you were mistaken by thinking there was. I am correcting my own mistake (which i am entitled to do in this case) not the player's mistake. And as @Martiju says, if the team mate became offside because the player took two extra touches, then no going back, because it was the player's mistake not mine.

Back