A&H

Academy Fixtures Restart

Mada

Does anyone know if any of the academies have restarted following COVID-19? Many grass roots teams are now playing but I suspect the academy setups are a bit more difficult to maintain social distancing.

The local lower division academies around me in Essex haven't yet restarted (not that I have heard anyway) but it would be interesting to know if the PL academies especially for kids have restarted yet.

The Referee Store
One of our CFA employees said that they’ve been speaking to the local academy (category 1), but didn’t mention anything else. I’d imagine they’d be back in training soon and maybe games to start in the next few weeks

My sons EFL academy hasn’t gone back yet - although they are cat 3 and use local university facilities (which will open again on 17/8) - although the academy will be doing a staggered return (to help the boys get used to social distancing, but think this is more a coping mechanism for the coaches).
Older boys season will start same as EFL - 12th Sept.
And younger age groups will start 4th October.
By all accounts the EFL lack of guidance makes the FA’s slow release of info look quite slick! 😂
what we have been told is the boys will be going back in smaller groups 🤷‍♂️ As Bewilderingly EFL is miles behind grassroots 🙄
Although pre-season games are being organised.
Hope that helps?

Last edited:
At our local RA meeting last night, it was mentioned that Wolves are starting again in October. At least for competitive fixtures that need Refs on them anyway.

Isthmian Under 23s are hoping for a return 2 weeks after the seniors - so early October as it stands.

Womens tiers 4/5 have also started friendlies.

Leeds U21s playing in the EFL Trophy against, Barrow, Blackpool and Accrington Stanley (yes them). First games on Sept 8.

Back