A&H

Junior/Youth Abusive assistant manager

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
U15s. Blues vs Yellows. Throw in to blues. Yellow player then stands directly in front of the thrower. I blow and tell him to retreat the required distance. The assistant manager/coach of the yellows shouts "what is wrong with that ref? He can stand wherever he ****ing likes!!" I go over to him and politely ask him to meet me halfway, to which he says "no. You come over here!" I go to him and explain my decision and he starts getting aggressive. I warn him that I will ask him to leave the vicinity of the FOP of he continues to be aggressive. He doesn't stop so I ask him to leave. He begins to walk to his bag, albeit slowly. I ask him politely if he would hurry up so I can restart the game. He responds by shouting: "Hang on ref! I'm getting my ****ing bag!!". This was loud enough that players on the adjacent putch heard it clearly!

Why are some people so immature at youth football?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
U14s. Blues vs Yellows. Throw in to blues. Yellow player then stands directly in front of the thrower. I blow and tell him to retreat the required distance. The assistant manager/coach of the yellows shouts "what is wrong with that ref? He can stand wherever he ****ing likes!!" I go over to him and politely ask him to meet me halfway, to which he says "no. You come over here!" I go to him and explain my decision and he starts getting aggressive. I warn him that I will ask him to leave the vicinity of the FOP of he continues to be aggressive. He doesn't stop so I ask him to leave. He begins to walk to his bag, albeit slowly. I ask him politely if he would hurry up so I can restart the game. He responds by shouting: "Hang on ref! I'm getting my ****ing bag!!". This was loud enough that players on the adjacent putch heard it clearly!

Why are some people so immature at youth football?

It's shocking sometimes isn't it?
These "adults" are placed in charge of kids.
When I did my level 1 (coaching) course, and this was only 6 years ago, the RESPECT programme and a fairly in-depth test on the LOTG were necessary elements to it. I presume it's still the same requirement now but I'm always amazed at the lack of knowledge of the LOTG exhibited by some coaches/managers, as well as the immature and often loutish behaviour of some. :confused:

Jack, stick that in a report to the league. That sort of behaviour is poor in front of young players should be dealt with, especially if it also involves a young referee (if you are such).

Not sure if it warrants a report to County, but James Lisher could advise if you give him a call.

Jack, stick that in a report to the league. That sort of behaviour is poor in front of young players should be dealt with, especially if it also involves a young referee (if you are such).

Not sure if it warrants a report to County, but James Lisher could advise if you give him a call.

I phoned the Ref Sec for the league and he advised me to report it to County whoch I did.
I am a young referee. I will be 18 in 3 months. Manager said I overeacted and also refused to give me the assistant manager's name when I requested it at the end. That was also included in my report.

Not sure if it's a misconduct report? Are you having a laugh?

Aggressive, abusive and removed from technical area? Guaranteed easiest misconduct report ever!

Genuinely worrying that a level 5 official doesn't recognise this.

I phoned the Ref Sec for the league and he advised me to report it to County whoch I did.
I am a young referee. I will be 18 in 3 months. Manager said I overeacted and also refused to give me the assistant manager's name when I requested it at the end. That was also included in my report.

Absolutely report it as misconduct.

Whenever you remove a team official it gets reported as misconduct.

"Manager said I overreacted" - don't you just love them?!

Of course hurling abuse at a young referee, at an Under 14s match, regarding a throw in , isn't overreacting at all is it?!:confused:

UPDATE:

I have heard that the club are challenging it and are claiming that I made it all up and I made a meal of it

UPDATE:

I have heard that the club are challenging it and are claiming that I made it all up and I made a meal of it
Provided your misconduct report is:=
  • Accurate
  • Is objective (i.e. no subjective, emotive stuff)
You will be fine. Your CFA will back you and come down hard on the club for wasting everyone's time.

Donlt forget that you are still a minor yourself, so adult swearing at you has Child Welfare written all over it.

Now, i know some people and parents have colourful language, and as a squddie at 16 I had some too, but there's still the line that he has crossed - wholly and toatlly over the line, so foul has been comitted.

Effing jumped up little canter deserves all he gets.....

Not sure if it's a misconduct report? Are you having a laugh?

Aggressive, abusive and removed from technical area? Guaranteed easiest misconduct report ever!

Genuinely worrying that a level 5 official doesn't recognise this.

I missed the bit where the OP says the manager was dismissed, so I humbly apologise to all concerned for my frailty. I will face the wall for a few minutes and think about what I've done.

I have reported it and I found out that the manager wants to challenge the report. I just wonder if they will pay the fee (£35?) to appeal

I have reported it and I found out that the manager wants to challenge the report. I just wonder if they will pay the fee (£35?) to appeal

What often happens and hopefully will in this case, is that someone sensible at the club - sec or chairman - will intervene and tell manager to stop wasting everyone's time and costing the club (more) money.

What often happens and hopefully will in this case, is that someone sensible at the club - sec or chairman - will intervene and tell manager to stop wasting everyone's time and costing the club (more) money.

Or if the club chairman or secretary weren't actually there and the coach is vehemently denying any wrongdoing, they will be none the wiser and support their coach.

I can speak from experience and say that some referees 'embellish' their reports. As a club chairman and welfare officer, I have experience of being stood on a touchline watching one set of events, and reading about something entirely different happening when the referees report came through.
We appealed, lost, and now accept that not all referees are honest. Life goes on.

I'm not suggesting that there is any dishonesty in this case, just that I can understand why a club may go down the appeal route if they have a coach who is protesting their innocence.
Clubs have to support their coaches as well as educating them about the correct way to behave.

Misconduct report all day long plus removal from the pitch vicinity. Padfoot, in all my long years as a referee and attending numerous hearings I have yet to attend one where the players/managers are entirely honest they shall we say are very economical with the truth.

Misconduct report all day long plus removal from the pitch vicinity. Padfoot, in all my long years as a referee and attending numerous hearings I have yet to attend one where the players/managers are entirely honest they shall we say are very economical with the truth.

So, two wrongs make a right? End justifies the means?

I know that players and managers will be creative with the truth, but referees should be held to higher standards.

Back