A&H

A tale of two tackles

SM

The avuncular one
It was the best of times it was the worst of times... :D okay, will walk away from that...

Two tackles tonight, different for me, the same for a small number of players. Both happen in the second half.

First tackle. Skilful player moving towards the box. Defender dives in from the front, gets the ball first but also gets the players foot and ankle on the follow through. Quite low, studs down but follows through more than I am happy with. 10-15 years ago - brilliant tackle. In this day and age - it's reckless and he gets a caution. He cannot understand that he can give away a foul if he gets the ball first. :D not the sort of tackle you want to see in foorball anymore. Not horrible, but to be dissuaded.

20 minutes later. Other end of the pitch and two players are running towards the ball. The attacker then breaks off and starts to run in the direction the ball is travelling away from the defender. The defender continues run at the ball (intercept course) and lunges into space to stop the ball travelling past him into the path of the attacker. There is nobody near the defenders attempt to get the ball - his challenge is into clear 20 yards of space. The question is raised by the player cautioned earlier - why is that not a card and mine was? Answer: there is nobody near him, if there is a player anywhere near him - very different story.

He didn't get it.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Why are you surprised he didn't get it, he's a player, none of them get it.
I had the same tonight. At one end very slight coming together of two players in penalty area as the ball is about to go out of play, attacking player falls over, cue shouts for penalty, no way. Later at other end striker is running into penalty are and is tripped form behind. I give a penalty, cue shouts of, "How is that different to ours?" They just can't see it !

It's a worry. It's like when somebody screams 'high foot ref!' where nobody was within 20 yards of the player who raised their foot.

You always hear 'why was that a card and not that tackle?' Well, maybe because they were completely different tackles?

Back