A&H

A question for supply league observers?

forest96

This is a question (as the title suggests) at those of you observing at supply league level, in response to a frustrated colleague of mine who I was chatting to this week.

Do observers mark first-year level 4s lower than those who are more experienced at that level, for a similar performance (i.e. two referees produce broadly similar performances, the first-year picks up a 72 whereas the guy who's been on that league for four years gets a 73-74).

Just interested in thoughts from those in the know.

The Referee Store
This is a question (as the title suggests) at those of you observing at supply league level, in response to a frustrated colleague of mine who I was chatting to this week.

Do observers mark first-year level 4s lower than those who are more experienced at that level, for a similar performance (i.e. two referees produce broadly similar performances, the first-year picks up a 72 whereas the guy who's been on that league for four years gets a 73-74).

Just interested in thoughts from those in the know.
Sometimes the converse is true as the level of expectation from the more experienced referee is higher, so this suppresses the mark. First years get lower marks because they've not had the benefit of a year's feedback from observers and the year working with L3 referees. Therefore they often haven't got to grips with the criteria needed to clock up marks and also may have habits they've not gotten rid of from L5. They are often less consistent than a 2nd year or 3rd year.

My point is, they may think they are performing at the same level but often the small differences have a large impact. It's often the little bits of polish that shade the extra mark.

If I see a good first year, and he puts in a great performance, then it will be rewarded with a high mark.

Back