A&H

A player is Offside when...

Tony Casscarino

Level 7 Referee
A player is offside and you blow the whistle when they move towards the ball (when in an offside position) or when they touch the ball while in an offside position!?

The Referee Store
A player is offside and you blow the whistle when they move towards the ball (when in an offside position) or when they touch the ball while in an offside position!?
Depends if they are the only attacking player who is likely to be able to play the ball and the position of the ball. By that I mean if the attacker chasing down the ball could lead to a collision between the attacker and the goalkeeper AND he is the only attacker likely to play the ball, then an early whistle can stop that collision.

Tony, not wanting to be overly critical, but you seem to be asking a lot of questions about fairly basic aspects of the Laws which you should have learned about in whatever training you've done and which moreover, are covered in the Laws document.

For instance, here the "textbook" answer is that you would blow the whistle once the player fulfils the criteria for committing an offside offence as specified in the Laws of the Game. Even if your training for some reason did not give you the required knowledge, I would once again recommend consulting the Laws of the Game document. On pages 77-79 you will find the basics, then on pages 193-199 you will find illustrations which should help you even further as they cover the main offside scenarios that can occur. For instance, on page 194 you will see two scenarios that show you should not blow the whistle simply because a player is moving towards the ball but can go with an early whistle if no other team mate has an opportunity to play the ball, as Brian mentions.

Tony, not wanting to be overly critical, but you seem to be asking a lot of questions about fairly basic aspects of the Laws which you should have learned about in whatever training you've done and which moreover, are covered in the Laws document.

For instance, here the "textbook" answer is that you would blow the whistle once the player fulfils the criteria for committing an offside offence as specified in the Laws of the Game. Even if your training for some reason did not give you the required knowledge, I would once again recommend consulting the Laws of the Game document. On pages 77-79 you will find the basics, then on pages 193-199 you will find illustrations which should help you even further as they cover the main offside scenarios that can occur. For instance, on page 194 you will see two scenarios that show you should not blow the whistle simply because a player is moving towards the ball but can go with an early whistle if no other team mate has an opportunity to play the ball, as Brian mentions.

I have had a good read and have looked and learnt the scenarios, thank you for your response

Regards
Tony

Back