A&H

a bit of banter

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
i love a bit of banter on the football pitch, but in various discussions on here it appears to be discouraged when you are the official.
i seem to not be able to help myself though and do engage when i feel its appropriate, but, am i making a rod for my own back by doing so ? ive not had any adverse reaction as yet, but i guess i cant legislate for everyone to react in the same fashion to things.
i'm certainly not doing it for the sake of club marks, i genuinely believe that it has a place on the FOP.... but should i not be participating?

The Referee Store
If I am getting it, players can expect it back! Just make sure not to say anything too wild!

i love a bit of banter on the football pitch, but in various discussions on here it appears to be discouraged when you are the official.
i seem to not be able to help myself though and do engage when i feel its appropriate, but, am i making a rod for my own back by doing so ? ive not had any adverse reaction as yet, but i guess i cant legislate for everyone to react in the same fashion to things.
i'm certainly not doing it for the sake of club marks, i genuinely believe that it has a place on the FOP.... but should i not be participating?

I'm sure it helps. Attacker complained loudly about an offside I gave yesterday (as AR), defender said "That lot need to learn the rules lino" , I replied "As long as I know them eh?" , "Yeah, suppose so" player replied!

I like a good "worth a try, eh?" when players make a ridiculous claim for something, which usually gets a good reaction as long as they know they were in the wrong. Caught me out slightly this weekend though when I player I'd been chatting with quite happily suddenly turned to arguing pretty loudly over basically nothing. Think it made me a bit too slow to get the yellow out, because I had in my head that he was behaving well.

I always converse in banterous ways with the teams, if I can!

like @GraemeS said - when players claim stuff, its usually followed by 'win some lose some ay mate?' ... stuff like that and little chuckles.

also though, again, it can go wrong. if a game is mild mannered and a player puts a challenge in that doesn't connect or affect play in anyway, if I am near said player soon after ill have a quiet little word in their ear and say like 'easy on those challenges fella, if they connect it'll hurt someone, cheers bud' ...all friendly like, and most players responded really well like 'cheers, ref' etc (maybe appreciate that I haven't made a big son and dance in front of everyone about it?) - the other week though - player kicks off 'why mention it?!' captain comes over, accuses me of antagonising etc - ended up booking 3 players and having words with the manager!!

safe to say that part of my repertoire is out!

Back