A&H

7-6 Promotion

Jack Shepherd

Level 7 Referee
Had my in-service training tonight along with my Laws of the Game examination. Thankfully passed, 33/35 although very dissappointed on the 2 I got wrong, especially the last one which I wasn't very happy about, always thought you could show a red card if your called a 'cheat' as your about to enter the changing rooms!

Anyway, onto the assessments and games now! Anybody else doing 7-6 this promotion season?

The Referee Store
Yeah I'm doing 7-6.

Did the exam a month or so ago.

Don't beat yourself up over stuff or you will be black and blue by the end of the season!!!

Just enjoy the season - keep your paperwork up to date and assessors informed of your games and you won't go far wrong

Had my in-service training tonight along with my Laws of the Game examination. Thankfully passed, 33/35 although very dissappointed on the 2 I got wrong, especially the last one which I wasn't very happy about, always thought you could show a red card if your called a 'cheat' as your about to enter the changing rooms!

Anyway, onto the assessments and games now! Anybody else doing 7-6 this promotion season?
You only show cards ON the field and to players, substitutes and substituted players. An offence just outside the changing rooms, after the game, is misconduct, not a dismissal.

What is the 7-6 exam like - got mine coming up...
Its similar in format to the written paper you completed on your course. You will have 35 questions, all multiple choice and you select the correct answer. All of the questions are based on in-game scenarios and often have clues, such as "a player makes a reckless challenge, what action would you take?" The clue is "reckless" which means free kick and caution. If you know Laws 5 and 12 inside out, you won't go far wrong.

Exams, to me, are unnecessary if there is sufficient scrutiny while you're on the field. That is to say that if I am seeking promotion to the next level and I am assessed 10 times in a season, the assessors who have assessed me, collectively, will be able to tell if I have a knowledge of the laws suitable for the level I am aspiring to. On the other hand, not having that knowledge, even in one match, should preclude anyone from being promoted that year.

We don't have enough assessors to assess all of the promotion candidates, so just as with the fitness tests that are used to weed out the less able candidates, the exams are used to whittle down the number who need to be assessed.

Right, which is fair enough -- I was simply saying that if assessments can be used for all promotion candidates, then exams become unnecessary. Would it be possible for your system to be run on a nomination basis with a cap of people being promoted each year? That way you could ensure that the number of promotion candidates does not exceed the number which can be handled by assessors and other support staff.

Right, which is fair enough -- I was simply saying that if assessments can be used for all promotion candidates, then exams become unnecessary. Would it be possible for your system to be run on a nomination basis with a cap of people being promoted each year? That way you could ensure that the number of promotion candidates does not exceed the number which can be handled by assessors and other support staff.
There has been a recent change to discourage the timewasters with a fee being charged so that only those who are really keen on achieving promotion are the ones who go for it. The success (or otherwise) has yet to be seen. If its run on a nomination basis, the decision to nominate puts too much power in hands of a few. It is far better that candidates self select and get the feedback from the assessments.

Changes are always being introduced, so nomination is/has been probably being considered.

I only ask because we use a nomination system here. My provincial RA has got a Director of Referee Development who takes care of the education and nomination process, and a Director of Assessments who takes care of assigning assessors to matches and with the actual promotion process. They work together as a team, generally, to select suitable candidates and to set the course for promotion. I could see such a thing being achievable on the CFA level.

Back