A&H

7-6 First Assessment

Dino Ref

Hi guys,

I've got my first assessment tomorrow and just looking for any tips or advice you's can give me.

Cheers.

The Referee Store
Don't panic.

Seriously, try and relax and do what you normally do.

Don't skip things likes kit checks etc, those are easy marks to drop if you chin them off and the observer notices.

Let the players swear in your face, don't cause a scene, no surprise decisions........ really sorry, that was my 2-1 advice!!

Dont change your game. I have my second ob from 7-6 this week. Meant to be a semi final but it is now when I am working with a team of three one who is an ex football league ref and my other assistant is a level 4. I have reread my first observation and will try and do better on my development points.

7-6 is quite straightforward, observer is not expecting you to be a Premier League Referee!

It's really about can you do the basics right- signalling and know the differences between penal and technical offences as well as knowing correct restarts. Also being able to differentiate between Careless, Reckless and Excessive and dealing appropriately.

As others have said. Just referee as you would normally do and forget the observer is there. Observers can easily spot referees who are trying to change their natural game for them.

Good luck.

7-6 should have a fairly friendly observer who should give you lots of advice.

Play your normal game, listen to him post-match, don't be afraid to ask questions if it will help your understanding on a matter or clarify something further for you. They're there to help you (or they should be anyway), and this is a fantastic opportunity to ask questions, something a lot of referees fail to take the opportunity to do.

Otherwise, for the match itself, pretend he isn't even there and referee as usual and enjoy the game.

Hope it went well!

Reminds me of the days where a player would chirp up with "oh watch out ref, being assessed today" as if it was a big scary thing or the "you being assessed today?" snark at a caution or decision against them, to which I'd usually reply "I'm assessed every week mate, I'm rubbish!" :D :D

Back