A&H

7-5

Luke Collins

Has anyone on here done it? If so, is it much more difficult than people say 7-6 is, as most people I've spoke to say that it's fairly straight-forward. Biggest difficulty I can see would be trying to get 40 games in because I'm still playing as well.

The Referee Store
If you're still playing as well, then doing a double jump is not for you as you're not demonstrating the necessary level of commitment to refereeing

If you're still playing as well, then doing a double jump is not for you as you're not demonstrating the necessary level of commitment to refereeing
Brutal but a fair comment I suppose. I'd say I'm more than committed, but I've played at a high level for a while (only 17 like) so I'm a bit reluctant to just wrap it in. I would be willing to make it my 'secondary' role though if need be

Brutal but a fair comment I suppose. I'd say I'm more than committed, but I've played at a high level for a while (only 17 like) so I'm a bit reluctant to just wrap it in. I would be willing to make it my 'secondary' role though if need be
I live in Yorkshire young man, we don't do pink and fluffy.

When do you play? Saturday afternoons? That's when you will be expected to do most of your refereeing and when you get Level 5 there is an expectation that you offer your services as an Assistant Referee on a Supply League.

Sunday mornings? That's when your local Sunday League will be crying out for referees and it provides you with the opportunity to practice everything you need to learn to be a better referee on Saturdays.

Also another thought for you, if you get sent off, how will you explain that to the people for whom you've agreed to do games?

If you want advice, then if you want to play and referee as a pastime, then play. If you're serious about progressing as a referee, then stop playing.

Down south Yorkshire isn't it compared to us up here!
Currently play in our CFA's U18 League in Durham- so it's Saturday afternoons.
Referee in the local Sunday league on a morning and then on an afternoon in an U17's game.
I'd hope I'm more than disciplined enough to not get sent off, I've haven't had a caution in my 10/12 years playing, but it's a good point, I've never thought of it in that way before!
I've planned to wrap in playing within 2 seasons, but maybe it'll have to come slightly sooner.

Down south Yorkshire isn't it compared to us up here!
Currently play in our CFA's U18 League in Durham- so it's Saturday afternoons.
Referee in the local Sunday league on a morning and then on an afternoon in an U17's game.
I'd hope I'm more than disciplined enough to not get sent off, I've haven't had a caution in my 10/12 years playing, but it's a good point, I've never thought of it in that way before!
I've planned to wrap in playing within 2 seasons, but maybe it'll have to come slightly sooner.
All very cultured in Durham, I know this as my father in law is from that neck of the woods.

Seriously though, don't try and mix them, not at your age.

Whilst on this topic, if you were to apply for the double jump, and by any chance dont manage to get the 40 games in, or dont manage to reach the criteria, however you get over 20 in and meet the level 6 criteria, is there still a possibility of getting that level 6? Think the double jump is a good scheme, but wouldn't want to waste a season on it if it fails..

Luke

As has been said, trying to get the games in will be the tough part whilst still playing, I've done 6-5 this season, doing open age Saturdays, Sundays and midweek lines , total so far is 38 middles, 35 lines ( 21 of these have been midweek )....
You also have to consider how many weekends you may lose to the weather....7-6 no issues as your looking at March till the end of Sept, 6-5 through the worst of the weather could be difficult getting the games in.

If you go for it good luck, avoid injuries and of course getting sent off

Whilst on this topic, if you were to apply for the double jump, and by any chance dont manage to get the 40 games in, or dont manage to reach the criteria, however you get over 20 in and meet the level 6 criteria, is there still a possibility of getting that level 6? Think the double jump is a good scheme, but wouldn't want to waste a season on it if it fails..
Yes, if you go for the double jump and you fail to hit the 40 game criteria, providing your observations are good enough, you will still be promoted to level 6.

...and you're posting about EPQ/A Levels with all that playing / refereeing and other stuff. Settle yourself!

Luke

As has been said, trying to get the games in will be the tough part whilst still playing, I've done 6-5 this season, doing open age Saturdays, Sundays and midweek lines , total so far is 38 middles, 35 lines ( 21 of these have been midweek )....
You also have to consider how many weekends you may lose to the weather....7-6 no issues as your looking at March till the end of Sept, 6-5 through the worst of the weather could be difficult getting the games in.

If you go for it good luck, avoid injuries and of course getting sent off
Yeah I'm going to go for it, it's good that I'll still have the 7-6 jump there if I don't get the 40 games in. Happy enough to dedicate more time to refing instead of playing if it means I'm able to complete the 40

The biggest difficulty is refereeing the 20 games between 1st March and 30th September. We've had a relatively mild winter so leagues will start closing down late March / early April, and then many don't start back up until the start of September. So you might not have a lot of available games to get those 20 games in.

If it gets to the end of September and you haven't done the 20 games then you should be offered the chance to transfer to the standard 7-6 scheme.

@Luke Collins you are 17 years old, whats the rush?

Let say you apply for 7-6, then 6-5 then spend a season as 5 and apply for 4, you could still get to level 4 before you are 21 if your good enough.

Enjoy playing, learn from refereeing and don't rush everything.

@Luke Collins you are 17 years old, whats the rush?

Let say you apply for 7-6, then 6-5 then spend a season as 5 and apply for 4, you could still get to level 4 before you are 21 if your good enough.

Enjoy playing, learn from refereeing and don't rush everything.
That's fair enough, I get where you're coming from. I just think it'll push me, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, it won't be the end of the world (as long as I'm offered the backup 7-6 option). Can see why some may see it as a little naive though

It depends how much time you have to dedicate to it of course. I would expect you average grassroots season to be somewhere in the ballpark of 30 weeks long, including cup matches? Given that you're playing as well, and you'll lose a lot of flexibility over the winter, do you really feel you'll be able to referee 2 times most weeks and play with your team as well?

The double-jump is taxing for people who dedicate their time to it - if you're going to insist on playing as well, I'd strong advise bracing for disappointment. And also, make sure you keep your disciplinary record clean - if you're banned as a player, you'll be banned from refereeing in that time as well. That will both eat into your available time to reach 40 matches and look very bad on your record if you're a borderline candidate and need sympathy from the county FA to get over the line.

Back