A&H

6 second rule

Before I took my course last summer I was convinced the 6 second law had been scrapped as in all the Wimbledon games I see the referees never, ever give it, even when the fans behind the goal start counting and reach 11, 12, 13 etc..Unbelievable really...how the refs can ignore it at that point is terrible.

The Referee Store
I think referees sometimes ignore it because they will just add the time wasted on as extra time...

Occasionally I will need to shout "get a move on keeper" or similar, only once have I ever given an idfk for 6 seconds rule. Though it is funny how often you hear "how long ref?" When the keeper has only just gotten to his feet!

I did hear of referees literally shouting out the count some years back....

Had to laugh on Saturday when a player said "that's been more than six seconds, ref." I said "it's a goal kick, that rule doesn't apply," to which he replied "yes it does." I suggest a mandatory laws of the game test for every player and coach as of next season, it would certainly make our job easier :p

I had one in my first season where a player shouted at me 6 seconds ref! Not concentrating I shouted "get a move on keeper".

Keeper looks confused. It is then I realise the keeper has the ball at his feet.... No player challenging, ball in play.

After the game he came over. Before he said anything I said. "I know, I know"

Back