A&H

Junior/Youth 5 Cup Matches this weekend.

Too many games?

• Total voters

Claydon

Level 7 Referee
It is the weekend and another busy one.

Saturday
Boys U19 Presidents Cup Semi Final AR1
Boys U19 Presidents Cup other Semi Final AR2
Girls U16 Presidents Cup Semi Final Middle

Sunday
Boys U13 Presidents Cup Final 4th
Girls U13 Presidents Cup Final Middle.

The Referee Store
Rather you than me! I had 2 OA Semi Finals as an AR in 2 days, and that was bad enough..! Surely your ref sec will notice how many games you've got and see somethings not right??

What I will say is well done on getting those games, clearly doing something right! Good Luck

What about all the other league's referees, don't they get a chance to do any of these?

Referee Shortages.
Things are a little different on the other side of the pond. It is quite normal for me to referee 6 to 8 games in a weekend. This is not a great situation but it is what it is at the moment. Travel distances are also much greater, I have a 2 hour drive before I start today,

In my State, our main Youth competitive league has about 400 games in a weekend from U12 to U19. We have about 1400 referees total to cover all leagues from youth rec to armature adult/ semi pro. MLS has its own organization.
Last year I covered about 250 affiliated games in some capacity, and some Highschool (U16 and U19) on top of that..
With regard to both your comments, I do agree, but it is what it is and not abnormal here.
At least I have no issues with the fitness test.

i had two games scheduled a couple of saturdays ago, and i wasnt really looking forward to it as generally, even though i could quite happily run around for the required amount of time, i wouldnt be able to concentrate in the latter stages of the second game, which as we all know, could prove to be really important.
I have in the past though, happily taken on a youth game if i'm doing OA at the same venue, not because i hold the youth game in any less regard, but because i know i could cope with the extra 60 minutes of mental agility

I think two boys' ARs followed by a girls' middle is just about OK in extremis.
But that Saturday, cup finals, gotta be questions about concentration in the final. Tense semis could take a lot out of you. 40 min halves though I guess?

It would be frowned upon here to do a serious men's or elite youth middle plus another serious men's or elite youth AR consecutively.

Good luck. Tell us how it goes.

All Cup matches so presumably with the chance of extra time as well. More than I'd want to take on!

Only you know what you're capable of, so I voted based on my expereinces which told me I couldn't take on that many matches. The ftness side would probably be OK, but concentrating for that long combined with fatigue and I know I couldn't do it.

But good luck!

No dramas for me. Your Sat middle shouldn't be too strenuous - your U/19 lines will be your most demanding games of the day, I expect. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to reduce your effort as AR. Sometime there are some minor things you can do to reduce your effort a little. Just stay hydrated, stretch well before, and eat properly (no high sugar/salt foods)
Your Sunday games shouldn't be too strenuous either (only have one middle, and for an U/13 girls). You'll be fine.

In my old area this would be our workload for one day (well, normal season)! Finals you'd normally do 3 games a day, and again the next day - 2 lines and a middle. Maybe just 1 of each if seniors (maybe). The workload is less where I am now, but you might still do a couple of middles a day of juniors.

Back