A&H

5-4 mark 2024-25 season.

Egg man

Level 5 Referee
I recently scored just over 70. Is this an acceptable mark? Also, what average marks are expected for those going 5-4 over the five assessments?

A&H International
71.0 over four observations here (Hampshire)
They have set the minimum acceptable average at 71.0 nationally. All standards at 5-4 are being set by the FA. The administration and appointments will be done by CFAs, but reports will be reviewed by National FA.

What happens if you’re on mid season promotion ? Is the national average still 70.0 ? I can’t imagine they can can change it half way through someone’s promotion ?
They have set the minimum acceptable average at 71.0 nationally. All standards at 5-4 are being set by the FA. The administration and appointments will be done by CFAs, but reports will be reviewed by National FA.

What happens if you’re on mid season promotion ? Is the national average still 70.0 ? I can’t imagine they can can change it half way through someone’s promotion ?
Getting the average DOESN'T mean you get promoted, only nominated.

To go 5-4 on the annual system, your mark will need to be well above the minimum, I think the 70/71 problem is irrelevant

Getting the average DOESN'T mean you get promoted, only nominated.

To go 5-4 on the annual system, your mark will need to be well above the minimum, I think the 70/71 problem is irrelevant
Exactly. It depends on numbers required obviously but your mark, along with other factors (availability, admin etc.), is ranked against your peers therefore the 71.0 should not be a target. To give yourself the best possible chance of getting that promotion you need to be aiming to be the best in your promotion cohort to ensure you're above the line the FA draw when deciding how many, and therefore whom, they are taking to level 4.
Are they still doing mid-season 5-4? Also it doesn't really matter what the line is, 70 or 71, you aren't guaranteed promotion even if you meet all the criteria. It only affects you if you are nominated or not, so it makes no sense to change it. If they want 71.0 and over then they just won't take those less than 71.0 even if nominated.

I suspect you'll need to be closer to averaging 72 to be in with a good shout. Luck of the draw, a few years ago when The FA were desperately short of L4s they took almost everyone who averaged above 70, now there is no longer a shortage they can be a lot more selective about who they take. You might get lucky in that a significant percentage of the reclassifications to L5 are in your region, equally you might get unlucky with no reclassifications and no one voluntarily stepping down in your region.

I've had one 5-4 in this promotion window. It was a 72.1

It was a pretty rubbish game, not a whole lot happened.

I have another one soon, with someone who did one of my coaching reports last season, and he gave me a few rough home truths last season, my worst of the 4 coaching reports by far (no devs, just he had a few issues with my style, and in hindsight, he was right).

So hopefully I get a chance to redeem myself in his eyes.

Back