A&H

4th official confusion

jofusref

RefChat Addict
can somebody explain what was going on in the portsmouth game, referee mr bull got delayed in traffic i believe, fine he for some reason took 4th official duties fine, now instead of 4th official mr johnstone refereeing the game,ar2 mr holdeerness refereed the game with mr johnstone becoming ar, up here it would have been a straight switch between ref and 4th, cheers

The Referee Store
Personal injuries, personal involvement with clubs, referee or league instruction - we may never know.

It's always the higher qualified official who replaces the referee, not necessarily the 4th man.
Barry is a level 3, former 2B, 10 year FL AR. I don't know which Mr Johnstone was the other official involved, but I can only assume he is also L3, with less experience than Barry therefore meaning Barry's senior, hence why he did the whole game in the middle.

EDIT - also, do you have a link to an article relating to this?

thanks dan, up here the ref and the 4th are cat 1 so they would simply change roles. i read it on the rate the ref site in appointments

thanks dan, up here the ref and the 4th are cat 1 so they would simply change roles. i read it on the rate the ref site in appointments
In the Premier League, that would be the case (either PL or FL ref as 4th in every game). But in the football league, it's not the case. Often it's FL AR's as 4th, unless it's TV games then they're always FL refs

Also BCH is retiring at the end of the season, so maybe someone gave him a going away gift. I know he really enjoyed the game.
Based on the fact that the assessor was being assessed/monitored, I would imagine that's not the case. Although, the same thought did cross my mind!

Back