A&H

3rd Game on the Line, Self Doubt After Games

If it's any consolation.............OA game 2 weekends ago, was having a great game, you just know when it's going well. Half time a number of players from both teams commented, good half ref. I was buzzing. Second half, player 6 yards out in front of his goal, bit of a goal mouth scramble, I'm sure his arm is extended to the side and the ball strikes his arm, 3/4 of the way up it, preventing the ball from going towards the goal. I immediately blew and pointed to the penalty spot. Not one player claimed for the penalty and practically every player on the defending team protested, saying it hit his face not his arm. I stuck to my decision and unfortunately ended up sin binning the offending player who continued his protests to an extent that could've been a dismissal. As I sin binned him I saw the big red mark with surrounding mud and grass on his face where the ball struck him. Self doubt straight away. I apologised to the player after the game telling him I thought form my angle it hit his arm but also added none of the opposition helped me out. If they had said it's not a penalty ref then I probably would've changed my mind but felt that I couldn't change it at that stage. It played on my mind for the rest of the game, the team lost by a single goal too. I've not let it bother me though, just learnt the lesson to take a few seconds before blowing for a penalty. On reflection, if no one is claiming a pen, chances are I'll let play continue. But then again I'm now doubting if that is the right thing to do

The Referee Store
. On reflection, if no one is claiming a pen, chances are I'll let play continue. But then again I'm now doubting if that is the right thing to do
I think you have to be careful with this. If you have teams whining about every little thing, this can help. But some teams actually behave the way they are supposed to and don’t try to get a call on everything that happens. I think we have to be careful that we don’t train players to moan for calls.

we miss calls sometimes. Shrug. That’s why the best refs in the world have VARs--even they can’t get them all right. If you made a mistake, so be it, move on.

If it's any consolation.............OA game 2 weekends ago, was having a great game, you just know when it's going well. Half time a number of players from both teams commented, good half ref. I was buzzing. Second half, player 6 yards out in front of his goal, bit of a goal mouth scramble, I'm sure his arm is extended to the side and the ball strikes his arm, 3/4 of the way up it, preventing the ball from going towards the goal. I immediately blew and pointed to the penalty spot. Not one player claimed for the penalty and practically every player on the defending team protested, saying it hit his face not his arm. I stuck to my decision and unfortunately ended up sin binning the offending player who continued his protests to an extent that could've been a dismissal. As I sin binned him I saw the big red mark with surrounding mud and grass on his face where the ball struck him. Self doubt straight away. I apologised to the player after the game telling him I thought form my angle it hit his arm but also added none of the opposition helped me out. If they had said it's not a penalty ref then I probably would've changed my mind but felt that I couldn't change it at that stage. It played on my mind for the rest of the game, the team lost by a single goal too. I've not let it bother me though, just learnt the lesson to take a few seconds before blowing for a penalty. On reflection, if no one is claiming a pen, chances are I'll let play continue. But then again I'm now doubting if that is the right thing to do
That's an unenviable predicament that not even Del Boy could sell. Last week, I gave an IDFK for DP with no contact, only to realise the recipient was bleeding from his cheek and it wasn't tomato sauce. My mistake was easily reversed but you had to live with your mistake. I'm not fond of the whole 'selling' business. It's a refereeing term that means zilch. We know when we're wrong and we just have to find mitigating strategies. (FWIW, I don't like the whole 'credibility cr4p' an'all, but hey ho)

It is what it is. Our eyes play tricks with us sometimes. We all make mistakes. Unfortunately this was a costly one. Not sure waiting longer to blow everytime is a good idea either. A quick loud whistle is a very good selling tool. Don't change your game too much. Possibly better angle would have helped you here.

I'm not fond of the whole 'selling' business. It's a refereeing term that means zilch.
Not sure I agree with this. Many decisions are ITOOTR. And a lot of those are clear cut. You either have made the right call or not. But there are many that can be disagreed with by either side no matter which way you go. They are the ones you need to sell if you want match control.

I am sure you already do a lot of selling already. For example a short small whistle to sell a foul as a small foul and a long loud whistle to sell it as reckless or UEF.

Not sure I agree with this. Many decisions are ITOOTR. And a lot of those are clear cut. You either have made the right call or not. But there are many that can be disagreed with by either side no matter which way you go. They are the ones you need to sell if you want match control.

I am sure you already do a lot of selling already. For example a short small whistle to sell a foul as a small foul and a long loud whistle to sell it as reckless or UEF.
It's what I perceive as 'ref speak' that makes we cringe a bit, 'selling decisions', 'credibility', that sort of thing. I heard less about selling when I worked as a salesman than I do as an umpire. Not important, just a pet hate

Back