A&H

3 games

willt2004

Newref
Level 8 Referee
First offside games.
Did 1 u11 and 1 u12- both went really well!
Then, I get a call after asking if I want to be an assistant in an u17 league cup semi final.
Also was really really good and enjoyed them all, however think my legs will say something different in the morning :)

The Referee Store
I once did three OA games on a weekend, absolutely wasted Monday and Tuesday the following week... Never again thank god!!!

1300 miles last week, 80+ hours week, my days babysitting idiots are thankfully over, keep getting the odd invite but I need the recovery time on the weekend from the weeks efforts...

Last edited:
Wait until you get close to 50, such as myself and had to run 4 yesterday! One solo U12, two with AR's and than to top it off a U17 short sided game. Lucky I can walk but I will keep on keeping on until I cannot. Job well done!

I was doing start of the season three U14s game on a Sunday morning due to a shortage in refs all 35m each way, its not so much the next day but the third game there is no way you're near 100% even if you are super fit.

Its not possible after over two hours to be in peak condition, with say ten minutes left in the third game you have been in the middle for three hours.

I think i done it for about a month then knocked it on the head.

I was doing start of the season three U14s game on a Sunday morning due to a shortage in refs all 35m each way, its not so much the next day but the third game there is no way you're near 100% even if you are super fit.

Its not possible after over two hours to be in peak condition, with say ten minutes left in the third game you have been in the middle for three hours.

I think i done it for about a month then knocked it on the head.

I agree but with shortages, we do what we can. And don't forget about the mental aspect of working that many games. If I have a stretch like that I inform the captains to help me out. let them know I am gassed and will do the best job that I possibly can. This may sound a bit weird but I live on a very small island and everyone knows everyone and the players respect me as a referee so it helps a lot. I did have to issue two cautions in late game so there you have it.

Haha Shef...no but I am the one in charge of the refs and I am on a serious push. Good news is we now have more certified referees than we ever had before. I keep telling myself my load will lighten but not of yet! Still waiting for that day to come....maybe when I am 70!

I'd love and come and help you out but I'm afraid the boys at Hawaii 50 would have to be on standby!!! Sounds like you have your hands full IR

I just got home from the last weekend of pre-season college [university] showcase tournaments in the US; I worked eleven 80 minute U16-19B games in two days (5C 6AR). Yes, it's way too many games, and no, I won't be taking that many games again.

A three-game set is the norm for non-adult assignments around here. Usually, three guys rotate so that each gets a game in the middle and two games on the line.

I just got home from the last weekend of pre-season college [university] showcase tournaments in the US; I worked eleven 80 minute U16-19B games in two days (5C 6AR). Yes, it's way too many games, and no, I won't be taking that many games again.

A three-game set is the norm for non-adult assignments around here. Usually, three guys rotate so that each gets a game in the middle and two games on the line.
Sam, go to bed for a lie down, you can count your fees in the morning!!!

I know for damn sure I could not drag Shef away from the poolside Mai Tai bar! Its the one frequented by the flight attendants to boot!

Back