A&H

2nd yellow card

refdave83

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Incident on Sunday....

Player A commits a challenge in 1st half and I go to book him and as I'm giving him a bollocking he keeps trying to walk away. I tell him to stop walking away and book him for the challenge. he later gets stub and due to the roll on roll off sub rule he comes back on later in 2nd half.

He commits another foul. I could easily off given him his 2nd yellow. I pull the captain in and tell them both that if he commits one more foul he is walking for persistent. The 2nd foul could have been argued either way for a YC.

Was I right in giving the warning or should he have walked.

The Referee Store
how was the player for the rest of the game?
I would say if A. he got on with the game after then your okay and what your doing is giving the captain the respect they deserve.
or B. player goes back and continues to be a nuisance but not committing an offence sort of just a nagging player. then he probably should have been removed and i would then look for a way to get rid of him. (unprofessional i know but players like this need to learn)
C. player commits another poor challenge and gets sent off.

After I gave him the warming one more and your off I didn't hear a thing out of him for the rest of the game

Three fouls sounds like persistent to me. Just because someone has already been cautioned, it does not mean that the next foul has to be a sending off. Sometimes it is, other times it is not.

I have allowed a player five fouls before they have been sent off. The first gets a free kick, the scond a warning and the third is a caution for persistent. (As a rule of thumb 3 is my count for persistent). If he fouls again, depending on the severity it could be a second caution, or a final warning -next time you're gone. Five is seriously persistent.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've never come close to sending someone off for 2 YC so it was all new to me. So many things learned in that game.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've never come close to sending someone off for 2 YC so it was all new to me. So many things learned in that game.
after my first game, and having addressed my issues i go and read this, reminding me that i have so so so so much to learn.

Three fouls sounds like persistent to me. Just because someone has already been cautioned, it does not mean that the next foul has to be a sending off. Sometimes it is, other times it is not.

I have allowed a player five fouls before they have been sent off. The first gets a free kick, the scond a warning and the third is a caution for persistent. (As a rule of thumb 3 is my count for persistent). If he fouls again, depending on the severity it could be a second caution, or a final warning -next time you're gone. Five is seriously persistent.
Couldn't agree more!

after my first game, and having addressed my issues i go and read this, reminding me that i have so so so so much to learn.
Just keep at it, it will come it took me a season to get some right and i'm still not getting everything or even most yet i got told last night im the biggest "up and coming star" which made me wonder how bad is refereeing in our area ;) but on a serious note i only know of me and 2 others under 20 coming through i think it could become a big issue

wish i had of become a ref at 16-17 when i wanted to, but back then i had found birds and beer ;). o well i am 30 now but your as young as you feel, and i feel like a 20 year old some times.

Andy, totally agree. I wish I became a ref years ago. Don't know why I didn't.
3rd season now. This could easily be my 8/9th season. Oh well. Live and learn.

you still have a year and 2 seasons over me:D my target is to make it to supply league and then go from there, if i am fit enough, and good enough there is no reason why i cant make it to a world cup final like mike malarky, who is a full time assistant ref.;)

Ill race you. Both the same the age. I'm going for promotion next season to go from 7-6. With the comments I go from a ref last weekend not holding much hope :-/

haha race is on, maybe we could be on the same team for FA Cup final you in the middle and i'll be 4th :D

Back