A&H

2nd game in charge tomorrow, big jump!

Brennan87

Level 9 Referee
Got my second game in the middle tomorrow and I’m really nervous for this one now.

For those of you who didn’t read my last thread my game last week was my first ever game, Sunday league 3rd division men, in a big open playing field typical Sunday stuff, substitutes was lino’s and the game was a relative successs.

Tomorrow I’m doing county football, premier division 1st vs 3rd in a actually ground with two league appointed AR’s.

Few questions a few more experienced refs could answer;

1. I am meant to have a brief with my two AR’s on what I want from them communication wise etc (I think they are both level 6’s and this is my second game) what do I say?

2. As there are official dressing rooms home/away should I enter them and do the kit checks there or on the FOP?

3. Can someone talk me through how they ask/conduct the FA Respect handshake? I asked my two teams last week, they did it, but clearly wasn’t use to doing it they was very unsure how to line up etc and one player even said to another “well played mate” which made me tickle.

I know the LOTG don’t change and my refereeing shouldn’t change but I am apprehensive as it seems a very formal setting being in a private ground and top of the premiership clash

Thanks

The Referee Store
Jesus I’d be bricking it.

All I can say is park close to the pitch incase you have to do a runner, trust me it crossed my mind in my first game.

Seriously though whatever good or bad comes out of it your gonna use the experience in the future, it’s gonna be a learning exercise, I’m on my third game Sunday could have done a sat game Aswell with league lino’s but I can’t make it.

I would just go for it, get your basics right & hope there is not to much drama just give it how you see it, it should help big time having proper Lino’s, prep them before hand to be your second pair of eyes & ears, just say to them if I miss something blatantly obvious or get something blatantly wrong then flag me.

You have nothing to lose by ref’n the game and everything to gain, good luck.

I'd say, don't be nervous. Typically, the higher the level, the more the teams will want to play football and not have a scrap.

I know it's sometimes difficult to, but my personal advice is to go into the game with no premeditated ideas i.e "I need to show them who's boss" or "I need to be firm to set the tone". Quite often, you'll get two teams who just want to play football, who don't want a referee ruining the game by constantly blowing the whistle or being a drama queen by nitpicking everything and anything.

I can't comment on anything else, but like I said, don't worry about it being a more formal setting or a higher standard. It means better players. Keep up with play, making decisions as they come, let the game flow. I always felt I was a very well received ref when I explained to the players, coaches and managers that I'm happy to let them play, let the game flow, as long as they do do the same and want to play. If they wanted to moan, cheat or have a fight, I'll blow the whistle all day, card them, treat them like kids. Once I gained a reputation for being a "player's ref" i.e letting the game flow, making the correct calls where possible, and letting them play without disturbing the game unnecessarily, I always felt my games were ridiculously easy to officiate compared to if I was to be known as a ref that was thought of "oh here we go again, Mr Jobsworth who's going to be blowing his whistle all game and refereeing like it's the World Cup Final".

My own take on it, and a few pointers that I've been told:

1- rehearse the brief against a mirror or a camera to see yourself.
2- keep it short and brief nothing over 15 mins. Think about it yourself you don't want to be lectured on and on you'd lose interest yourself.
3- I like to do my brief outside on the pitch after the warmup that way we can all envisage play and it helps when we are talking about fouls/ penalties and your expectation of their involvement
4- remember that they are there to assist you, and while you need to work as a team at the end of the day you are the referee and ideally you need be the leader of that team
Specifically to your situation, don't shy away from telling them that it's your first time with assistant and/or that's it's only your 2nd game. As I understand they are more experienced than you so don't be afraid to ask for advice and or help. But courteously remind them that while you welcome their input and advice halftime or after during the match you'd like to be leading that team.

I realised the last post was getting long so here goes my own brief that I adapt and change:

Pre-match brief:
1- offsides; delay flag unless chances of collision with keeper or lone attacker that is clearly offside. (The first one is to safeguard both the player and keeper, the second one is you don't need unwarranted grief from an attacker that you just had run 10-20 yards for no reason then you flag for an ovipositor offside)
2- throw-ins: each to their own I've heard some refs break up the pitch to 3 thirds i.e. The near side to the assistant it's their call, the middle bit is always fuzzy as to who hold what responsibility and the further third as the ref leading. I follow the example of other refs and my own coach in breaking the pitch into 2 halfs their half and mine but remind them that in front of the dugouts I'll try and lead them especially in tight calls so I can take the heat off their backs in case it's wrong.
2- fouls; remind them of their credibility areas: think about how credible them calling a foul 30-40 yards away when you are so much closer and remind them of using plenty of eye contact and to follow your lead in the type of fouls you are given. They are qualified refs so ask them to use their judgment as well and that you'll happily back them where it's credible
3- penalties: for me it's a case of 4: seen it given it, seen it not given it (and I'll be shouting No foul, carry on etc) , seen it unsure about in/out of the penalty area so I'll be seeking help (I'd have blown for the foul and looking at them for a signal: crabbing to the corner flag so penalty; taking a step toward the centre line outside the box), not seen it, you are boring holes in their foreheads (remind them only if they are 100% sure to make a decision)
4- CK/GK on their side, I'm usually with them 100%; other side unless I'm calling for help my call and I'll be leading them in with my arm signals.
5- subs help with the procedure, let me know and I'll wait for you. Unless they are u r at one end and I'm closer then I usually then I'll take care of it
6- mass conflict: observe, locate me and let's triangulate. Note down main instigators and then we come together and deliberate.
7- remind them of their responsibilities: usually the senior assistant takes full match log i.e. goals and fouls, subs etc. But it's up to you

I tend to remind them that there are 3 teams on the pitch with us being the 3rd, that I want plenty of eye contact and working together. That I'll support and protect them and expect them to do the same.

Smile and get help from ARs in the pre-match - I think you should be focused on what happens after the kick off!
Take your time, relax!

My own take on it, and a few pointers that I've been told:

1- rehearse the brief against a mirror or a camera to see yourself.
2- keep it short and brief nothing over 15 mins. Think about it yourself you don't want to be lectured on and on you'd lose interest yourself.
3- I like to do my brief outside on the pitch after the warmup that way we can all envisage play and it helps when we are talking about fouls/ penalties and your expectation of their involvement
4- remember that they are there to assist you, and while you need to work as a team at the end of the day you are the referee and ideally you need be the leader of that team
Specifically to your situation, don't shy away from telling them that it's your first time with assistant and/or that's it's only your 2nd game. As I understand they are more experienced than you so don't be afraid to ask for advice and or help. But courteously remind them that while you welcome their input and advice halftime or after during the match you'd like to be leading that team.
Hey Nalbi.. I would advise against doing pre match after the warmup. The reason is that you'll lose the benefit of the warmup. Ideally you want to get started as soon as you can following a warm up. I like to have no more than 10 mons between completing warmup and kick off which wouldnt allow time for full pre match instructions.

1. Yes, you need to brief your assistants, but given your inexperience I would keep it very simple. Even more so if they are more experienced than you as you don't want to say anything that will preclude them from giving you the maximum help. Generally just tell them to look at you before they make any signal just to make sure you don't cross, if you get that right much of the rest will fall into place. I don't agree with nothing over 15 minutes, that is way too long and you should be looking for 5 minutes, and 10 at an absolute maximum. Also agree with James that it needs to be done before the warm up. The whole point of a warm up is to make sure you are ready for the game, standing or sitting around after is going to negate the benefit of this.

2. No, definitely no. Referees should not be going into the teams' changing rooms, that is their sanctuary just as you wouldn't want the teams coming into your's. If you are leading the teams out do the checks outside the changing room, if they are already out on the pitch do it there.

3. Do the competition rules require you to do the respect handshake? If they do it should be prescribed how you do it, if they don't then my advice would be don't even try to do it. If the player aren't used to it and you insist on it you risk affecting your match control before you've even blown the whistle, and that doesn't make any sense.

Above all enjoy it and try to relax.

Hey Nalbi.. I would advise against doing pre match after the warmup. The reason is that you'll lose the benefit of the warmup. Ideally you want to get started as soon as you can following a warm up. I like to have no more than 10 mons between completing warmup and kick off which wouldnt allow time for full pre match instructions.

Yeah agree completely. I apologise I'm writing this in bits and bobs as I'm on child duty tonight so trying not to bring the house down while we are at it!! :angel:

I was going to say either before or after, as I like to use the field to explain areas of credibility and where I want my assistants getting involved.

Ref it like your normal game.. Remember your diagonal positioning, as it will differ to your game without AR's.

I would maybe let the assistants know that you have only just started out.

1. Yes brief your AR's. @Nalbi's pre match sounds exactly like mine.
2 & 3. It depends how the dressing rooms are laid out. If you have a walkout/tunnel and will be doing your respect handshake - its normal to send your AR's to each changing room, knock and perform kit inspections as players go to line up.

A normal routine for me goes like this:
1 hr 15 before KO: Arrive at ground - get drink, sort out bags etc & introduce to other managers/officals.
1 hr before KO: Walk round pitch, check lines & nets - run through pre match.
50 min before KO: Head in, get changed into warm up gear etc.
35 min before KO: Warm up
20-15 min before KO: Arrive in from warm up, get kit on
5 min before KO: Ready to go, assistants go to changing rooms
3 min before KO: Assistants knock & check kits
2 min before KO: Walk out

.. Hope this helps. Enjoy the game and the experience of AR's!

It’s late and I’m a bit late to this one....
So, this is your 2nd game?
No badge - presumingly level 9...
And you’ve been appointed main duty in a level 6 county match?

STAND BY FOR ANTI CLIMAX...

So after prepping the brief for my two AR's and going over my kit and approach to the game a thousand times I arrived at the ground today 70 minutes early. Met the two managers, met the club chairman, the pitch looked beautiful and I was shown the officials changing rooms. I thought I could get used to this...until a man turned up claiming he was the referee! Long story short the league had double booked the referee's, considering it was a county prem game, he was a level 5 and I was a 9 I took my kit, said my goodbyes and went home.

I have a under 14's game tomorrow, back to reality.

STAND BY FOR ANTI CLIMAX...

So after prepping the brief for my two AR's and going over my kit and approach to the game a thousand times I arrived at the ground today 70 minutes early. Met the two managers, met the club chairman, the pitch looked beautiful and I was shown the officials changing rooms. I thought I could get used to this...until a man turned up claiming he was the referee! Long story short the league had double booked the referee's, considering it was a county prem game, he was a level 5 and I was a 9 I took my kit, said my goodbyes and went home.

I have a under 14's game tomorrow, back to reality.

Disappointing or what!!!!

Didnt stay and watch the match? It would have been good for you to just watch the referee and how he dealt with matters, and not watch the football.

I would have thought there should be some kind of mistake. That's not just throwing someone into the deep end. It's more like throwing them in the middle of an ocean ☺

Last edited:
Back