A&H

2nd and 3rd Games over the weekend

Jim Barnett

Afternoon all

You'll probably be able to see my post following my first game below. Since then id taken a bit of time away due to a few various factors but my experience following the 1st game being one.

I was contacted by the Veterans league in Essex after being passed my details by the Essex FA. So I took charge of my 2nd game on Saturday. All very nice banter leading up to kick off as youd expect for gents of that age. Game kicks off and things are going fine, im not giving misleading signals for throw ins. About 10 minutes in a tackle happens which I think is fair (played the ball but took the man) and the man fouled is complaining about his ankle and how did I miss this - I said I thought it was a fair tackle. About 5 minutes later same player makes a very late tackle on a player through on goal (not last man) and I book him for the challenge. Said player said something along the line of well you didn't give the foul on me so I thought id see what you would give. Book him and take his name but it was unique surname so didn't get the spelling. Free Kick comes to nothing. Few other players are grumbling after about pushes in the back ive not given and here something along the lines of we'll get nothing from this ref so just deal with it. About 25 mins into the game another tackle happens but the player I booked earlier is still fuming and questioning me - at this point I call the skipper over and say hes already been booked and hes walking a fine line so have a word which he said he would and whilst hes having a word I can hear the player say well take me off as im going to get sent off! Reach half time. I have a word with both captains and say that whilst I appreciate you're not always happy with what im not giving I can only call what I see and what I think are fair tackles.

Second half goes mostly without incident other than a few corners and throw ins I gave (was looking for help from my assistants on that front without any success) and a player who was complaining he'd been caught which again I thought was a fair tackle. Game ends and I at least get handshakes from the players (matey boy I booked earlier did offer an apology but came with a BUT....) All in all didn't feel too bad - I get anxious about things in life generally and so after the complaints I did feel like its happening all over again!!! But generally happy with my decisions - none of which affected the result

3rd game was an under 12's game which thankfully meant tackles weren't flying in. Only a couple of things I came away thinking about. A handball which was probably more ball to hand, a foul I didn't give which led to a goal and an injury to a player where I awarded a drop ball but ordered attacking team to kick back even though the injury was caused by two defending players colliding

The Referee Store
Well done on getting out there again, sounds like you had a solid couple of games.

On the tackle, just remember that 'played the ball' doesn't mean it's not a foul. I can't judge with yours as I wasn't there, but don't fall into the trap of thinking 'Well, he got the ball so it's fine' and remember you are always judging careless, reckless and excessive force. I had a second yellow for a tackle last week which absolutely won the ball, but was a full on lunge from 5 yards away, at pace, studs showing that clattered that clattered the man after winning the ball. But, if you judged it to be a fair tackle then sounds like you handled it fine afterwards.

Well done on speaking to the captain and the player, that's a perfect stepped approach and given he lasted the rest of the game it obviously had the desired effect. The only thing I'd question is whether it was necessary to speak to both captains at half time. What were you trying to achieve by doing this? Were you getting particularly bad dissent from both sides that you felt needed addressing? While the temptation is often to try and explain everything to players and allow them to see your POV, the danger is they go back to their players and spend the next 5 minutes explaining what you said to them, which then leads to them spending the break discussing how rubbish you are and coming back out with that in their heads. Whereas if you say nothing, they spend 10 minutes on their tactics, subs etc and are all calm ready for the second half.

Under 12s not a big problem as at that level some guidance is ok, but remember you can't tell a team what to do with a drop ball.

Sounds like a good couple of games overall, well done!

Yep, I would say that sounds like a fairly standard amount of grumbling to me, which suggests you probably had a fairly good game. Players will always see two tackles as identical, but we often know better and can see important differences between them - have confidence in what you've seen and you'll be fine.

Nice one Jim! You will get a thicker skin the more games you do. I did quite a few veteran's games and found them hard in the beginning. Tackles can be strong, but while the game may be a little slower overall, there hard part for me was that the guys have years and years experience in niggle - and have a deep inbuilt ref radar! There are always older players who will prod and probe at any weakness. That's the reality of inexperience. I also found handling the emotional side hard. I was very disappointed in players, I would blush and try to hide it - but again, more games, more experience and more confidence.

What I realised is that with every game, and every season, as beginner refs, we improve enormously, exponentially... but the players? In veterans', in Sunday league, hobby leagues... ? Not so much! That gave me a boost, knowing that when I see them again I will soooo much better than last time, and they probably... well, with respect, certainly won't be! You don't have to prove yourself. Just do more games!

Sounds like you did really well here to deal with a difficult player and the captains. Again, with more confidence, you will feel stronger about your decisions and feel less like you have to explain your decisions.

What I realised is that with every game, and every season, as beginner refs, we improve enormously, exponentially... but the players? In veterans', in Sunday league, hobby leagues... ? Not so much! That gave me a boost, knowing that when I see them again I will soooo much better than last time, and they probably... well, with respect, certainly won't be! You don't have to prove yourself. Just do more games!

Great point, in no time at all you will be involved in games that are much higher leagues than these players play in. Likewise, in the 3 full seasons i've been reffing, i've been involved in 7 cup finals, many of the players you will ref will never have even got close to a cup final!

...I realise what I wrote could come out the wrong way... of course the opposite can be true... I've seen the same players go from U16 to adult first team or from U13 to U16 and improve incredibly... ...but for mere mortal players, of which I am one... at least I know my performance as a player has probably gone downhill at least a little over the last 20 years! Ahem!

Back