The Ref Stop

2-player DOGSO

tomh

Level 7 Referee
Hi,
Had an u13 game today. The striker was running through on goal.
There were two defenders, one running either side of him, and they both grabbed hold of him (to my view, at EXACTLY the same time) and he went down in the penalty D.
I awarded a DFK in the D which they actually scored from, but I had a long think about DOGSO (didn't give it as striker lacked total control of the ball and I never really give it at u13 level)
However, had the players been a bit older/better it would have been an OGSO which leads to the question what do you do then?

1-DOGSO, DFK, send off both players? Maybe right but would probably be met with a furious response cos nobody's seen that before and you've probably 'lost the game' from there
2-DOGSO, but try to work out who fouled first and send him off?
3-DFK but no red/no DOGSO cos one player will have fouled (fractionally) first and the other constitutes a covering defender?

Unlikely to see this situation again I know, but fascinated to hear thoughts

The Ref Stop
Certainly can't send both off, there is only one offence even if it was committed by two people. If as you say there was a player either side of him I think it could be strongly argued that there is no OGSO due to the presence of a covering defender.

Reactions: one
Very unlikely to be DOGSO for me as there are two defenders. Certainly a SPA and you need to caution one. Physical offences by two players don't happen at the same time, even if you have to split them by milliseconds. Choose which one (toss an imaginary coin in your head if you have to) and caution that one.

Back