A&H

Junior/Youth 2 matches

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
In my league they say be at the match at least 30 mins before. The age group I do play 60 mins and on Sunday I have on appointment at 1115 and another at 1230. It's at the same place but any ideas how to ensure that I start on time given that I'll have less than fifteen minutes to do everything bearing in mind half time/added time from the previous match?

The Referee Store
In my league they say be at the match at least 30 mins before. The age group I do play 60 mins and on Sunday I have on appointment at 1115 and another at 1230. It's at the same place but any ideas how to ensure that I start on time given that I'll have less than fifteen minutes to do everything bearing in mind half time/added time from the previous match?
Make it clear to the teams of the first match when you get there that you have another match afterwards and so would appreciate if they can start promptly. Make sure you're ready to go at 11:15 and haven't left anything to the last minute - also, try not to play too much extra time! Then with the next game (if possible let the manager know that you have a game prior to his one), then dash over, and take your time with the second.

If it's 30 mins each way, then I rarely have much, if any added time. Rolling subs and injuries are done and dusted pretty quickly.

You shouldn't have too much difficulty between the two TBH.

Is there a game afterwards on the second pitch you're on? If so, be aware of their kick off time because it become an absolute nightmare if an earlier game overruns, the snowball effect can have a huge affect on kick offs later in the afternoon.

Yeah same as everyone else, you can normally cut the added time to about 3-5 mins at this age group and so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Make sure that you are at the first game a bit earlier than normal so if there are any problems before the game you can sort them out. Just make sure that you are efficient with your pre match routine.
I have this problem almost every week and it is usually ok.
Last week I had 30 mins between two matches at two different places and the first ran over by about ten mins. The managers of the second game understood and were more than anything happy to have a ref anyway.
Good luck:)

What is it you need to do before the second?

Have a look at the pitch? You're already there.
Warm up? You've been running for an hour.
Get teamsheets / subs? Well that's easy enough, they're there before you anyway.
Err...

Turn-up, re-focus yourself, introduce yourself and have a good one :)

There ya go! Don't panic. As long as the second lot know you've got an earlier game, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Back