A&H

1st Game!

ICan'tSpeyk

Completed my first match this Sunday just gone. It was a friendly between two Premier Division Doncaster Sunday League teams.

I was absolutely bricking it, particularly because I had played for one of the teams involved and I’m friends with a few off the field. It went okay I felt for my first game. Luckily both teams were a good set of lads (I won’t get used to having it that way!)

In terms of ARs I had 1 lad from each team run their defensive line, common practise throughout this league when I played. Told both captains I too will always try to be in a good position to see offside. The only thing I said pre match to captains was that if they want to talk about a decision, that’s fine to ask, I don’t mind explaining my actions but I won’t tolerate dissent. I’m happy to talk to players because as a player and a cricketer also, I couldn’t stand an arrogant umpire who wouldn’t respond to a polite enquiry because he thought it was above him. As a bowler: “What do you think umps? Going down leg maybe I thought?” …. NOTHING.

Positioning was constantly on my mind. A few occasions I felt to in amongst the play. I was confident I got most 50/50 throw ins / corners the right way, I was told by 11 men at the same time I got one wrong in particular but I didn’t need telling, I got caught out of position and recognised my error. Another area which I’ll be focusing on is how vocal I am, in terms of clear instruction where required. Not a fan of the note pad, I’ve been browsing to try and find some cards I can write on?

80th minute was my first test as a referee and lesson. Score was 3-3 at the time, as mentioned, played competitively but fairly and short of a couple of little words in ears during game play, I hadn’t had to speak to anyone. Ball is played over the top, striker has a yard on the chasing defender and keeper is running out. Keeper realised he was losing the race and decided to reach out and punch the ball clear, well outside his area. I blew straight away and marched over to the spot the incident took place…. And gave a freekick only. Now i’m 100% sure the striker, short of the world’s worst miss, would have rolled the ball into an empty net to make it 4-3. Had this been a competitive game I would have walked him without a second thought. I said to the lad who picked the ball up to wait on my whistle and started marching out the wall. The subsequent freekick was tipped behind for a corner. No-one from the attacking side had too many complaints, a few murmurs at most between 2 or 3 players. I think maybe they appreciated the fact it was a friendly for fitness and practise. Maybe the confidence sold it. Either way nothing more came of it and I got good feedback from both teams.

In the car home I regretted my decision and if I had my time again, and no doubt I will, I would have dismissed him friendly or not. I appreciate friendly games there are higher tolerance levels but rules aren’t mine to make…? Plus I worried that it may be remembered then in a future game if I did give more than a freekick it would be inconsistent and potentially cause myself problems..?

The Referee Store
Refsworld sell card skins, although you need to make sure you can trust any team sheets as there's only really room for a number and caution code on them. If you want to write full names on cards then you probably need to rely on masking tape - and good luck getting a player to spell his name to you with a red card in your hand!

Everyone's first red in hard and I'm sure most refs can identify one early on that they missed or downgraded and then realised it was a mistake to do so. Don't forget that pre-season matches exist for your benefit as well as the players: If you're applying different standards in pre-season to how you would in a competitive match, it's not helping your preparation at all. Personally, I always try to avoid thinking of/calling them "friendlies" as a) They very rarely are! and b) it can put you in the wrong mindset if something needs a big decision early on.

Completed my first match this Sunday just gone. It was a friendly between two Premier Division Doncaster Sunday League teams.

I was absolutely bricking it, particularly because I had played for one of the teams involved and I’m friends with a few off the field. It went okay I felt for my first game. Luckily both teams were a good set of lads (I won’t get used to having it that way!)

In terms of ARs I had 1 lad from each team run their defensive line, common practise throughout this league when I played. Told both captains I too will always try to be in a good position to see offside. The only thing I said pre match to captains was that if they want to talk about a decision, that’s fine to ask, I don’t mind explaining my actions but I won’t tolerate dissent. I’m happy to talk to players because as a player and a cricketer also, I couldn’t stand an arrogant umpire who wouldn’t respond to a polite enquiry because he thought it was above him. As a bowler: “What do you think umps? Going down leg maybe I thought?” …. NOTHING.

Positioning was constantly on my mind. A few occasions I felt to in amongst the play. I was confident I got most 50/50 throw ins / corners the right way, I was told by 11 men at the same time I got one wrong in particular but I didn’t need telling, I got caught out of position and recognised my error. Another area which I’ll be focusing on is how vocal I am, in terms of clear instruction where required. Not a fan of the note pad, I’ve been browsing to try and find some cards I can write on?

80th minute was my first test as a referee and lesson. Score was 3-3 at the time, as mentioned, played competitively but fairly and short of a couple of little words in ears during game play, I hadn’t had to speak to anyone. Ball is played over the top, striker has a yard on the chasing defender and keeper is running out. Keeper realised he was losing the race and decided to reach out and punch the ball clear, well outside his area. I blew straight away and marched over to the spot the incident took place…. And gave a freekick only. Now i’m 100% sure the striker, short of the world’s worst miss, would have rolled the ball into an empty net to make it 4-3. Had this been a competitive game I would have walked him without a second thought. I said to the lad who picked the ball up to wait on my whistle and started marching out the wall. The subsequent freekick was tipped behind for a corner. No-one from the attacking side had too many complaints, a few murmurs at most between 2 or 3 players. I think maybe they appreciated the fact it was a friendly for fitness and practise. Maybe the confidence sold it. Either way nothing more came of it and I got good feedback from both teams.

In the car home I regretted my decision and if I had my time again, and no doubt I will, I would have dismissed him friendly or not. I appreciate friendly games there are higher tolerance levels but rules aren’t mine to make…? Plus I worried that it may be remembered then in a future game if I did give more than a freekick it would be inconsistent and potentially cause myself problems..?
Rule No.1 (after tucking yer shirt in) - Steer away from Friendlies - They're a pain in the ring

My worst ever games were so called friendlies...
Remember one ending 8 v 11..... GBH is GBH at any standard! Bye bye... 😎

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me........ 'Ayn Rand':)

Back