The Ref Stop

‘Standing on the ball’

Niceoneref

Level 4W Referee
Long time lurker, first time poster, be kind…!
I’m sure everyone’s had it… blow for a free kick and the opposition are immediately standing in front of the ball/very close.
I’ve so far gone with the line of ‘you know that’s not ten yards, back you go’ - then walk with them. Have never carded for delaying the restart yet - never had the same player do it twice, that would definitely earn them a card from me, however, if it multiple players are doing it once each, it amounts to the same thing - who here cards for this and under what circumstances? Warning first?
Also… what about when the coach shouts loudly to stand on the ball?
All advice gratefully received!

The Ref Stop
i do what you do. on the second occasion i get the card out.

I normally caution if the kicker is on the run up and a player does this.

Could also call over the captain and inform them that the next one's a caution, especially if you hear the coach say that.

I think each situation has to be judged on its own merits. First and foremost I have to believe that the opponents actually want to take the free kick.

One thing that really annoys me is when this happens and the opposition kick the ball at their opponent to try and get them cautioned despite them not really wanting to take the free kick.

Question to the group... Is it delaying the restart or is it failure to respect the distance and when does it change from one to the other for you? Have my own thoughts but interested if anyone thinks any differently.

Question to the group... Is it delaying the restart or is it failure to respect the distance and when does it change from one to the other for you? Have my own thoughts but interested if anyone thinks any differently.
I always saw respecting distance as more aimed at players who approach once the free kick is set/ten yards. I.e. when someone in a 'wall' runs forward before the ball is kicked?

Delay of the restart in this situation is specifically defined in law 12 and 13. At the award of a free kick an opponent must be cautioned for delaying the restart if they:
  • Deliberately prevent a free kick being taken quickly (Law 13)
  • Are being substituted and delay leaving the field
  • Kick or carry the ball away, or provoke a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after play has been stopped
  • 'Excessively' delay the restart - which is a useful catch-all but I think is more aimed towards delays caused by the player taking the restart
In my view failure to respect the distance at a free kick is when an opponent either:
  • Stays too close to the position of the free kick in a manner that causes some disadvantage, but is not preventing the free kick being taken quickly
  • Fails to follow the referee's instruction to retreat (in a manner that would not otherwise be deserving of a caution for dissent)
  • Retreats the required distance from the position of the free kick but then moves back in too close
So generally for opponents 'delaying the restart' would be more applicable to prevention of quick free kicks, while 'failing to respect the required distance' would be more applicable to interference with ceremonial free kicks.

One thing that really annoys me is when this happens and the opposition kick the ball at their opponent to try and get them cautioned despite them not really wanting to take the free kick.
I hate that as well, and on a few occasions when I felt the player didn't have a chance to move away and the opponent tries to get him cautioned by kicking it at him I've just deemed that the free kick has been taken and played on. Supported by law, albeit a bit risky for match control.

1728922446112.png

Last edited:
I hate that as well, and one a few occasions when I felt the player didn't have a chance to move away and the opponent tries to get him cautioned by kicking it at him I've just deemed that the free kick has been taken and played on. Supported by law, albeit a bit risky for match control.

View attachment 7658
I tend to just play on too. It usually means the kicker completely wastes the FK. Punishment enough and keeps the card count sensible
Considering what to do is very contexed and nuanced. Ideally, we wanna do whatever leads to the best outcome for us (the ref)

I tend to just play on too. It usually means the kicker completely wastes the FK. Punishment enough and keeps the card count sensible
Considering what to do is very contexed and nuanced. Ideally, we wanna do whatever leads to the best outcome for us (the ref)
Not really for me any more, I couldn't give a hoot about my club marks and I'm never going to be assessed / observed / coached again. I'd consider someone kicking the ball against an opponent before they had a chance to retreat, and then demanding a caution, as borderline cheating. So the best outcome for the game, not me as a the referee, is that it backfires for them.

I think each situation has to be judged on its own merits. First and foremost I have to believe that the opponents actually want to take the free kick.

Was about to post your 'annoyance' as my pet hate. As you say every situation is different. For me the factors to consider, regardless of if they intentionally take the kick at opponents:

- do the opponents have the opportunity to take a QFK (do they have receivers)
- have they seen the opportunity for QFK and attempting to use it.

Some other factors

- have the offenders been warned, on previous incidents, or in this one and yet they are not moving.
- have they got in front of the ball as part of their retreat or is it a deviation of the path of retreat?
- are they completely stationary on the ball or are they slowly retreating and covering the angles at the same time.

In terms of caution reason. If the opponents are attempting to take a QFK or there is opportunity for it then it's going to be delaying the restart. If the offender's intent is to close the better options and force them to play the ball back or sideways then usually failure to respect distance. If not sure I go failure to respect distance.

Crazy how situations from your last game pop up on a thread.

I had a game. Temperature went through the roof. Freekick, defender stands on it, just as I shout to get off kicker kicks it off the guy standing on it.

I decided no caution. The defender clearly stood in front of the ball, but the attacker just kicked it off him.

Back