A&H

Your "go to" phrases that you always use

Brilliant Mikey, bit embarrassing when my generation actually use text speak in real life!

The Referee Store
Once, when I refereed a pre season game on march 8th, both teams were particularly moany I said:
"Guys, you are taking this International Womens' day way too seriously. Stop moaning". Got a good laugh. Would never have said it in an official game.

If they moan at me I usually try and say something witty to make em laugh. The other week I was doing a youth game and one of the player's shouted "OMG Ref!!! are you having a laugh did you not see that!!" My very vociferous reply to him was "Hashtag, Shut up and get on with it lol" the coaches and the parents on the sideline burst out laughing at this point, the player just shook his head in an embarrassed fashion.

Again.....hopefully said witty remark was made whilst issuing a caution for dissent?

It's all very well belittling players, or children if you consider that perspective, but you don't do yourself, or fellow refs, any favours by not shoving a lemon up there nose.
Maybe if people stopped trying to be clever and simply did the job they were there to do, we would have players less willing to offer their uninformed, misguided and normally loud opinions on every decision?

If you want to be popular and entertain an audience, might I suggest trying stand up comedy instead?

Once, when I refereed a pre season game on march 8th, both teams were particularly moany I said:
"Guys, you are taking this International Womens' day way too seriously. Stop moaning". Got a good laugh. Would never have said it in an official game.
or in a Ladies Match - hopefully!:)

Again.....hopefully said witty remark was made whilst issuing a caution for dissent?

It's all very well belittling players, or children if you consider that perspective, but you don't do yourself, or fellow refs, any favours by not shoving a lemon up there nose.
Maybe if people stopped trying to be clever and simply did the job they were there to do, we would have players less willing to offer their uninformed, misguided and normally loud opinions on every decision?

If you want to be popular and entertain an audience, might I suggest trying stand up comedy instead?

Are you advocating issuing a yellow card for every "moan"

I would respectfully suggest that isn't doing anyone any "favours" either.

There are , effective, alternatives to dealing with mild dissent rather than just banging out a yellow card on every occasion.

Are you advocating issuing a yellow card for every "moan"

I would respectfully suggest that isn't doing anyone any "favours" either.

There are , effective, alternatives to dealing with mild dissent rather than just banging out a yellow card on every occasion.

Not every moan, but certainly for the 2 clear cut examples of dissent that have been mentioned in this thread.

Out of curiosity, does the LOTG differentiate between 'mild' dissent and 'dissent' or is it really just all dissent?

Not every moan, but certainly for the 2 clear cut examples of dissent that have been mentioned in this thread.

Out of curiosity, does the LOTG differentiate between 'mild' dissent and 'dissent' or is it really just all dissent?

No it doesn't of course Padfoot.

However "Oh ref" could be classified as dissent, as could "Never in a million years, are you blind?" - I would handle both remarks differently.

Its just not practical to call every disagreement with a decision, "dissent" and therefore a yellow card IMHO.

No fella i dont know the rules of football as last time i checked they were laws not rules

or

Really I must be reffing a different game to u player
you dont know the rules ref, quite right player,stunned look, followed by no rules in football 17 laws

No it doesn't of course Padfoot.

However "Oh ref" could be classified as dissent, as could "Never in a million years, are you blind?" - I would handle both remarks differently.

Its just not practical to call every disagreement with a decision, "dissent" and therefore a yellow card IMHO.

Right, we agree on something.....not every utterance from a player is 'dissent'.....therefore it is important to deal firmly with genuine dissent when it occurs.....and shouting 'Oh my god ref, are you having a laugh......' is dissent.......same phrase spoken at conversational volumes might elicit a different reaction.....

I come out of the house to get away from people like you!
Step in to my office...just before you dish a card out.....
all I can hear is mumbling....and when they start again....just say can anyone hear that? there it is again

I come out of the house to get away from people like you!
Step in to my office...just before you dish a card out.....
all I can hear is mumbling....and when they start again....just say can anyone hear that? there it is again

I think you're asking for a comment that will lead to a red card saying any of that. Also risking someone trying to hit you.

I think saying any of that is pretty demeaning, insulting and also makes you come across as a bully.

I think you're asking for a comment that will lead to a red card saying any of that. Also risking someone trying to hit you.

I think saying any of that is pretty demeaning, insulting and also makes you come across as a bully.

A Bully!!! that's a bit harsh...... I thought this was a bit of humour, if you think I have actually used any of these then your mistaking but I have herd them all said by referees when I played and I thought they were funny remarks at the time they were given!
the "step in to my office" quote was actually used by an FA tutor

"I work in a school for kids who get expelled and you two really remind me if them!" Said by me to two ryman league coaches during a friendly when they were starting to get rude with each other as i was stood on the halfway line during attack at one end. Got a lot of raised eyebrows from the benches but it shut them up!

Even though were into our third game of the season tomorrow and me having to send 1 off last week for calling me an f****** ***** in a friendly I feel something that words that you can't manage deal with it over with a caution or a sending off and ones you can manage then use witty marks or then bring the captain into have a word.

"You win some you lose some"

"He's only tickled him, get on with it"

"Why was that one a foul and this one wasn't? Cos I blew my whistle for that one"

"Who was playing him on? I don't know; someone in a (green/red/blue/yellow) shirt, that's all I need to know"

"You might be right. I'll check the video later"

"Sorry, can't go back in time"

Etc, etc...

I had a good one before i was out injured again.

I don't award a free kick to blue and the obviously disagree, yellow then begin to counter, as I am running up the pitch blue player past and says '**** me ref' obviously wanting a free kick to which I reply 'no thanks fella your not my type, i generally prefer them female' cue his team ripping him to shreds just as the ball goes out for a goal kick.

Had one a couple of seasons ago. Clear reckless tackle, yellow card...Keeper comes bounding out of his goal to complain, saying "...but I'm the Captain!!!" I respond "I don't care if you are the Brigadier-General, you are going into the book for dissent, too"

I suppose the one I tend to use the most during a match is whenever a player complains: "There was nothing wrong with that ref" or come on ref that was a foul/handball/foul throw/obstruction all day long" my stock response is:

"Not from where I'm standing matey". :)

Last edited:
Back