A&H

Your decision?

The Referee Store
Felt sorry for the ref on that one. Bad mistake, very high profile. Wonder what happened to them...
Do you mean the teams or the match officials? If the former, both teams qualified for the U-19 finals with England going through as group winners and Norway as best runners-up. I'm not sure but I think that if England had not scored the penalty, they might not have qualified.

If the latter, the referee Marija Kurtes was removed from the list for any further games in the competition but I don't know what (if anything) happened to the other match officials.

Thank you for your input guys.

I didn't expect such in depth answers and opinions to be honest with you. I certainly didn't expect to hear of games that were replayed with just injury time remaining. This is why I like this forum, I've learnt some new facts today just by reading your replies. Personally, I'd have awarded the caution for deliberate hand ball and the goal which is what most of you also said, which is why I asked the question. At first I thought I'd misunderstood the laws because the referee was quite old (I'd never seen him before) and I assumed that with his age he must have experience greater than mine.

At first I thought I'd misunderstood the laws because the referee was quite old (I'd never seen him before) and I assumed that with his age he must have experience greater than mine.
Or... the referee vaguely remembers the laws as they were at the point that he qualified, and has not bothered to keep up to date over the years with changes (although, I have to say, I have no recollection as to what the laws might have said on this previously to whatever point DOGSO-H might have been introduced).

Just going back to the OP and at the risk of starting to sound like a broken record, I should also point out that the old FIFA Q&A's once again had something applicable to this scenario and which said that in such cases, the referee should go with the advantage.

Q. A player tries to prevent the ball entering the goal by deliberately handling it. The ball, however, enters the goal. What action does the referee take?

A. He awards the goal and cautions the player for unsporting behaviour.

Back