A&H

Open Age "You caused that lino!" "That's your fault!"

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
OA line yesterday, Blues v Greens 2nd v 3rd in the Premier division of the league.

Finishes 4-0 to the Greens (the first goal after 34 seconds) and the Blues have a repuatation as an awful team to referee when they are losing.

In the second half, the score is 0-3 and two players challenge for the ball and both appeal. Me and the ref signal at the same time for a green throw. Cue one blue player turn around to me and say "you bottled that lino".
Within 30 seconds, a blue player commits a reckless tackle which sparks a small fracas. The same player who said I bottled it comes up to me and says "That tackle is your fault lino! You caused this." Yeah mate, course I did.........

Game ended 0-4. Our fault they lost, obviously......

The Referee Store
Considering the tone used in this instance, probably not as it was a snide comment from less than 10 yards away and not many people heard it. If he shouted it, then I would have flagged it to the referee. Note, this is advice given to me by numerous people to "manage" incidents like this

Sounds like the player is just frustrated they’re losing and isn’t good enough. Potential for dissent from the bottling comment?

Would be keeping cards in my pocket unless the shout from the player was aggressive, at a distance, loud or with obscenities attached. In this situation, I may use a public bollocking if order needed to be restored but sounds like things had run their course and were calming down when he opened his mouth the second time so imo no need to do anything.

OA line yesterday, Blues v Greens 2nd v 3rd in the Premier division of the league.

Finishes 4-0 to the Greens (the first goal after 34 seconds) and the Blues have a repuatation as an awful team to referee when they are losing.

In the second half, the score is 0-3 and two players challenge for the ball and both appeal. Me and the ref signal at the same time for a green throw. Cue one blue player turn around to me and say "you bottled that lino".
Within 30 seconds, a blue player commits a reckless tackle which sparks a small fracas. The same player who said I bottled it comes up to me and says "That tackle is your fault lino! You caused this." Yeah mate, course I did.........

Game ended 0-4. Our fault they lost, obviously......
Minimum - A stern talking to, then the second incident probably doesn't happen. I don't have much patience for this sort of nonsense tbh. Players don't realize that giving CARs stick is exactly the same as directing it towards you, the ref. I find that aggressively dealing with it publicly works best

did you tell the referee about the comment, i would have probabally have just told the player to shut it

Considering the tone used in this instance, probably not as it was a snide comment from less than 10 yards away and not many people heard it. If he shouted it, then I would have flagged it to the referee. Note, this is advice given to me by numerous people to "manage" incidents like this

As per everybody will have their own take on it, but, consider this......if the shout was loud and clear enough, then, the referee (if he is tuned in and alert), will recognise the issue and hopefully deal with it, without you flagging.
Anything less serious than this agree with other posters, it sounds manageable.

2 comments in 30 seconds is pushing the line.....but while it's easy to get all textbook on here, I'm sure many of us on the line have copped 2 comments in a short period of time and just told the player to get on with it without thinking twice. It's YHTBT. And maybe on the next comment you would have called the ref over.

My question is, though - how did you and the ref both signal in opposite directions at the same time?

As an AR, we want to be able to present our view to the ref but not contradict them. If the ball is crossing the line, quick eye contact. If the ref is already starting to signal, just go with him - he doesn't want your opinion. If he's looking for your view, signal. With experience this becomes faster and smoother.

If the ball is heading out, then you can give a discrete signal even before it's out - hold the flag in the hand of the direction it's going in, but slightly out from your body. The ref should pick up on this as your suggestion and either go with it, or make his decision if he disagrees. Doing this, you can both signal the same direction at the same time.

As the ref, he needs to go with the AR unless he's absolutely certain the AR got it wrong. But in those cases, you need to try to signal first. So AR needs to find a way to let the ref have the first go at it while communicating his view.

These are the sorts of things that separate the higher level ARs from the rest - and it's really experience that works on this. It sounds like it's slow and delayed, but it's not.

Sometimes you can try to do all that and still somehow signal simultaneously in the wrong direction.

In that case, sometimes as a ref if you're close to the AR, talking it through can help resolve the problem caused. "Thank you John, I saw blue's touch but it nicked red's shins on the way through"
Or "I'll go with you, you had the better view, sorry lads".

Because at this point, one team is going to whinge anyway.

Seems that way, I was just posting advice on how to minimise the chance of it being in sync.. Sometimes you can do all that and it still happens, but it should be rare.

2 comments in 30 seconds is pushing the line.....but while it's easy to get all textbook on here, I'm sure many of us on the line have copped 2 comments in a short period of time and just told the player to get on with it without thinking twice. It's YHTBT. And maybe on the next comment you would have called the ref over.

My question is, though - how did you and the ref both signal in opposite directions at the same time?

As an AR, we want to be able to present our view to the ref but not contradict them. If the ball is crossing the line, quick eye contact. If the ref is already starting to signal, just go with him - he doesn't want your opinion. If he's looking for your view, signal. With experience this becomes faster and smoother.

If the ball is heading out, then you can give a discrete signal even before it's out - hold the flag in the hand of the direction it's going in, but slightly out from your body. The ref should pick up on this as your suggestion and either go with it, or make his decision if he disagrees. Doing this, you can both signal the same direction at the same time.

As the ref, he needs to go with the AR unless he's absolutely certain the AR got it wrong. But in those cases, you need to try to signal first. So AR needs to find a way to let the ref have the first go at it while communicating his view.

These are the sorts of things that separate the higher level ARs from the rest - and it's really experience that works on this. It sounds like it's slow and delayed, but it's not.

Sometimes you can try to do all that and still somehow signal simultaneously in the wrong direction.

In that case, sometimes as a ref if you're close to the AR, talking it through can help resolve the problem caused. "Thank you John, I saw blue's touch but it nicked red's shins on the way through"
Or "I'll go with you, you had the better view, sorry lads".

Because at this point, one team is going to whinge anyway.

But we both signalled for the same direction??

Back