A&H

Wrong in law

DanCohen17

Simply The Best
Thought I'd start it off with a personal negative from last night's game.

An absolutely massive game last night, Step 3 level. 1st vs 5th (5th played 4 games fewer and in catching distance of 1st).
Arguably, biggest game I've been involved in.

11 minutes in, attacking player (home) in offside position challenges for the ball. I raise my flag and buzz the ref who gives the offside.

All good?

No.

It was from a goal-kick. Basic error in law. Cannot be offside. I wasn't as switched on as I should have been and didn't realise it was a gk (still no idea how). Suffice to say, all the home players, their bench (I was bench side) and the crowd go mad.

I admitted my mistake to the bench and apologised for 'f***ing up'. This set the stall for one of the most intense first halves any of us had ever experienced.

Assessor obviously saw, noted it and said it will, quite rightly, be in the report.

There was no-one in a worse mood than me last night, I can assure all of that!!

The Referee Store
Been there mate. FA vase game for me though. Only difference was I wasn't bench side. Lowest I've ever felt after a game

Officiating is like being a goalkeeper (I happen to be both). Make one crap decision and five great ones and your the villain - if you're a striker you can miss five great chances and score one screamer then you're the hero.

I've made plenty of mistakes - haven't done the offside from a GK yet - but it's always there in my mind that I am going to at some point and then how am I going to get out of it (e.g. try sell it as a soft free-kick for a 9 on 5 challenge) - I'm thinking I should just do it this weekend and get it over with !

Hope you can take away some enjoyment of the game though :)

Chin up. We are only human. I bet you won't make the mistake again!

Try and forget about it and move onto the next one.

Don't take all the blame - the ref should have known just as well that it was a goal kick.

Chin up Dan. Park it, learn from it (as I'm sure you already have) and move on to the next game.

I'm sure you won't make that mistake again and I bet you'll make extra certain you keep the concentration levels up

By the way, I've seen this on a Conference game in the not too distant past so it happens. :)

Ha, I wish! My line marks were going well enough for me to have potentially been involved in Ryman/Southern play-off games at the end of the season. Safe to say I won't be doing one now!!

Happened at Preston vs Tranmere a season or so back.

That's the highest level I've seen it at so take heart in the fact that even with that level of experience it can happen.

Dan

Did EXACTLY the same on an FA Cup 4Q line back in the 80's, the then biggest game I'd been on ever!

Ever since I always adjust my standing position to 'goal kick' sideways on when one is awarded at both ends.

Sounds daft, but it's always reminded me never to flag for o/s 90 degrees on to the FOP ever since

I'm actually putting together a 'coaching tips' session for our up and coming colleagues locally, with your permission yours is most certainly included.

(I wasn't thrown into the dungeons at Lancaster Gate for my crime at the time! Deep breath, move on mate!)

We've all been there, haven't we? At least, all of us who've been able to be there. It's like a badge of honour.

Back