A&H

Wolves vs Newcastle

The problem is, and has been from the start, that clear and obvious is so mushy that it’s impossible to draw bright lines. we see VAR much more aggressive on handling and OSP because it can be—and because IFAB has been trying to make HB as objective as possible in how it defines HB. And once the genie is out of the bottle, mission creep is inevitable.

The Referee Store
Can we call it out for what it was… a dive?
I know I am late to this thread, but I still haven't worked out if it a penalty or not...
One angle, it shows the Wolves player kicking the bottom of the new players foot, another shows the New player falling into the challenge.

In the RWC, we would have heard the referees explanation of the offence and why they gave it. we need to open the mics of the referee's up for these discussions with VAR.

I know I am late to this thread, but I still haven't worked out if it a penalty or not...
One angle, it shows the Wolves player kicking the bottom of the new players foot, another shows the New player falling into the challenge.

In the RWC, we would have heard the referees explanation of the offence and why they gave it. we need to open the mics of the referee's up for these discussions with VAR.
It is just becoming quite farsical all of this VAR, and quite shocking that at this level, with the number of intelligent brains behind the scene that they cannot get it right (or eat humble pie and copy rugby, because they actually do it correctly).

I also think in this day and age, why are they not just stopping the clock when there is a VAR check? and show it on the big screens, a la rugby? Let us hear the deliberation. If players start crowding the referee, book them etc. It wouldn't take long to impliment effectively...

...we need to open the mics of the referee's up for these discussions with VAR.
Seriously doubt that will ever happen. English football tried that in the '80s with a Millwall Vs Arsenal game and got scared after Tony Adams was caught on mic calling David Elleray a cheat and getting away with a repremand.

Seriously doubt that will ever happen. English football tried that in the '80s with a Millwall Vs Arsenal game and got scared after Tony Adams was caught on mic calling David Elleray a cheat and getting away with a repremand.
That doesn't sound like an unfixable problem....

If a decision is supportable, it won't be overturned in England. The penalty decision, while soft, was supportable and not technically wrong -- even if we don't like to see it given. In the rest of the world, the referee would have been at the monitor to watch; but, as usual, England is lagging behind in the adaptation and progress of the game.

Seems Taylor has been demoted to the championship after the penalty mistake on the weekend. At what point is the VAR culpable in this instance as surely they should have seen that it was a mistake and asked him to reconsider? I thought it was unfair if it was an honest mistake by Taylor and he gets punished for it?

Seems Taylor has been demoted to the championship after the penalty mistake on the weekend. At what point is the VAR culpable in this instance as surely they should have seen that it was a mistake and asked him to reconsider? I thought it was unfair if it was an honest mistake by Taylor and he gets punished for it?

Demoted or…

A: Fulfilling his scheduled EFL quota

B: Covering a higher profile Championship game while others are on FA cup first round duties?

Taylor hasn't been demoted.

All Select group 1 refs referee some championships games throughout the season. This is sensationalist, and poor, journalism.

They just happen to miss of the fact that Darren England (who has already taken charge of a PL game since the Spurs v Liverpool game) is also refereeing at Plymouth.

Whilst the PGMOL do have an agreement to provide SG1 officials to some FL appointments, I don't think it's a coincidence that AT is the one doing the honours this week

Add to that, the KMI panel have found the pen decision to be incorrect (of course we always have to take those with a pinch of salt)

I don't know if this is true but I did read it will be his first Championship game since 2019. So whilst I do agree that it's a bit of a non-story as they all do games outwith the EPL at some point, I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that he's doing one this weekend (as @Runner-Ref says).

I don't know if this is true but I did read it will be his first Championship game since 2019. So whilst I do agree that it's a bit of a non-story as they all do games outwith the EPL at some point, I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that he's doing one this weekend (as @Runner-Ref says).
Unless someone who actually says something, we’re all just guessing . . . .

Back