A&H

Wolves v Crystal Palace

The Referee Store
If the player fouled has the capability to perform half a dozen rolls off the FOP and then roll back onto to it, a seed of doubt would be sown in my mind as to the ferocity and danger of the tackle.

Just saying …

It's about the same as the Casemiro tackle earlier this year so I wouldn't have been surprised to see a red.

One difference between the two challenges though is that Casemiro makes contact with a planted leg while Johnstone makes contact with a leg that's in the air. Obviously the former has a much higher chance to cause serious injury. To me, I could see why a referee might decide this makes it a yellow challenge and not a red one (even though it's not technically right based on LOTG).

LOTG state:
Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Johnstone's challenge
✅ lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
❌endangers the safety of an opponent

Casemiro's challenge
✅ lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
✅ endangers the safety of an opponent

The "or" means doing just 1/2 makes it a red card offense. But maybe this affected the decision?

Initial reaction was red, on replay I can see an argument where I’d just about be happy with yellow. Lunges in, out of control, the only mitigating factor is the force and point of contact means I’m not convinced it was excessive force.

The only reason it didn’t break a leg, was the striker saw it coming & very acrobatically & skilfully.got himself out of the way of the ferocity of this challenge. A clear red for me, ticked the box of heavy touch, followed by two footed lunge, off the ground and out of control with force endangering an opponent’s safety.

Back