A&H

WOL v LEE

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
So - just seen the RJ red card.

As a wolves fan, I think it’s harsh as a yellow, as the ball was there to be won… BUT, it was late so I do understand it.

What are unbiased opinions?

The Referee Store
Real time I thought yellow at least. On replay its not as bad as I thought but it's quite clearly a foul committed at high speed (although clearly unintentionally while going for the ball) so I think yellow is fine.

Real time I thought yellow at least. On replay its not as bad as I thought but it's quite clearly a foul committed at high speed (although clearly unintentionally while going for the ball) so I think yellow is fine.
Think I agree with you. Could see it not being given as you want attackers to challenge for the ball. But it was a second late, and perhaps he didn’t do enough to pull out!

Reactions: es1
Thoughts on the Moutinho foul in the build up to Leeds’ equaliser? Very high in the follow through and with a fair amount of force. Orange for me, so was shocked Friend didn’t at least give the yellow.

Yep, orange for me too, though bet Leeds are glad he didn't stop play. Absolutely ludicrous delayed offside flag there where James was a good 5 yards off. Just flag ffs

Personally, I wouldn't be going for a caution there (for the second caution).

The clip I'm watching it doesn't really look reckless/bad to me.

No card for me. Meslier gets there first but with the angle they’re running at I’m not sure what Jiménez is supposed to do differently. It may be at high speed but it’s a fair challenge for the ball and most of the force in the collision is coming from Meslier.

No card for me. Meslier gets there first but with the angle they’re running at I’m not sure what Jiménez is supposed to do differently. It may be at high speed but it’s a fair challenge for the ball and most of the force in the collision is coming from Meslier.
My very biased opinion is that this was given by assistant…

Not cautioning for that type of foul, in that position is going to cause you more problems than showing a caution will. High speed, ball has been cleared by the keeper, obvious foul.

It’s unfortunate perhaps because it’s his second, but as it’s also forced an opponent to be substituted, I’m certainly happy with it.

On this last point, I know injury is not always a consideration in a sanction. But put yourself in that place. You see a player go off and you’ve taken no action; it’s going to nag away at you, making you doubt yourself a bit. That in turn will potentially trigger mistakes later on.

Can a careless challenge become reckless because of the force the other player puts in? (Genuine question - not sure.)

Take the point about later mistakes, but if you’re confident that it’s just an unfortunate collision then leaving the game 11 v 10 to try to avoid a bad decision later doesn’t seem optimal. This one to me is more like a clash of heads, for which it’s pretty common to see injuries without cards.

The delayed offside flags were just stupid.
He had the yellow out very early for the send off. In a way the GK played for it. Jiminez is so late, no chance of getting the ball, that he's daft to be there and it's an easy yellow for me.
I'm surprised with a new manager Leeds are still this entertaining. They have been fun this season, but from what I've seen, with a couple of obvious exceptions, they are not very good and 7 points clear of the bottom three flatters them. They do the headless chicken very well.
This was another game where the ref was very very slow to any flashpoint and I would have liked him to impose. The EPL refs are looking like passengers and the passivity for the cameras is eroding their match control IMHO.

I might be getting this wrong, but I just don’t see him being that late - it seems a split second thing even in slow-mo. He’s also running pretty much at right angles to the keeper so it’s going to be tough for him to judge out of the corner of his eye whether he’s going to get to the ball first or not. The image below is a bit grainy, and stills can be deceiving, but you get the point.

AACAB551-4FE1-489A-B7AE-F3941E1FC946.jpeg

Natural football collision for me, not reckless imo. Is the bar slightly higher for the second yellow? KF technique of getting yellow out early, not a recommendation for grass roots football, reduces your thinking time, leaves you know where to go, particularly if puts you in second yellow space.

Natural football collision for me, not reckless imo. Is the bar slightly higher for the second yellow? KF technique of getting yellow out early, not a recommendation for grass roots football, reduces your thinking time, leaves you know where to go, particularly if puts you in second yellow space.

Not seen the incident so more a general point, whilst understanding the concept of taking time before producing a card, there is the flip side, if the tackle comes in, and as ref you are taking the snapshots in your head, click, click, click, and you match up the tackle to what you class as a yc, am content to trust what i saw, I dont need to survey the scene for an injury, or wait for a player reaction etc, if the brain goes,foul, yelllow, I can understand the yellow instantly coming out.
Where you dont want an instant yellow in hand is when you are on the fence in your mind, its those ones yuu maybe take a few secs, whats the feeling, gauge reaction, is there potential flare up, do you need to be quick
As said, not seen the incident so its not specific to the ref last night, but am ok at any level if a referee has decided internally what card to go on occasion, your instincts and snap judgement are sometimes the best route

update have now seen the actual incident, yellow card for me, any of the " what was he meant to do", " how could he avoid it" " he was runnig at speed" etc is all irrelevant, its a certain foul and imo, stonewall reckless, reverse it and had that been gk late of striker ( based purely on the foul, not any reference to dogso), again, its a yc every time.

that aside, what was his first card for? gen question as dont know. If it was for reckless, or persistant, that simply seals your yellow here.

Last edited:
Back