A&H

WMRL appointment

Barry Priest

Level 5 Referee
Gentlemen if anyone is available on Saturday 21st & 28th August for WMRL matches please let me know No 07776228314 Barry Priest

The Referee Store
I am not too pleased at the so called amusing responses I am receiving. My Post is a serious request In future only Serious responses please
Barry - apologies for the flippancy. We don't often get people asking for referees to cover fixtures on here, it's more of a (generally good humoured) discussion forum about refereeing.

A few serious suggestions.
1) Worth specifying the main area the games are being played that you need cover for. There may be referees on here that are not familiar with your league and the locations covered.
2) What time do games kick off?
3) What is the match fee that is being paid?
4) Do you need to be a minimum level to officiate on the league?

I'm also guessing that you're trying to find referees through social platforms such as Twitter and Facebook with the various groups and entities that are relevant in your area.

I'm not sure how many "West Midlands" referees we have on here, we're spread far and wide nationally and internationally, so you may be fishing in the wrong pool so to speak.

Good luck with filling your appointments.

I am not too pleased at the so called amusing responses I am receiving. My Post is a serious request In future only Serious responses please

We are all supportive of getting referees on games Barry, but a bit of common sense needed. I'm very involved in referee appointing and development but I had no idea what the WMRL is, so I suspect many of our members will have had no idea whatsoever.

There's no problem in asking for officials, but you need to specify the kick off time as well as dates, as well of as an at least vague part of the country. And of course the match fee as well as any travel allowances if applicable.

If I was a little abrupt I apologize but I am extremely concerned at the lack of available officials this season . The details of the WMRL are all teams located in Midlands area basically around the "Black Country" with some such as Bromyard town slightly outside . We have 2 division 1& 2 last year FA took away our Premier level 5 division ## The Fees are REF £34 Assis £26 Plus travel mileage paid up to Max of £60 (all 3) We have a Referee Officer called Glyn Thomas who you can contact direct glynthomas7@btinternet.com or myself

regards Barry

If I was a little abrupt I apologize but I am extremely concerned at the lack of available officials this season . The details of the WMRL are all teams located in Midlands area basically around the "Black Country" with some such as Bromyard town slightly outside . We have 2 division 1& 2 last year FA took away our Premier level 5 division ## The Fees are REF £34 Assis £26 Plus travel mileage paid up to Max of £60 (all 3) We have a Referee Officer called Glyn Thomas who you can contact direct glynthomas7@btinternet.com or myself

regards Barry

think it's the same everywhere to be honest. i've had emails from leagues in york and west yorkshire asking for multiple refs already

i'm part of the problem though, zero weekend availability till october. too many people to see and places to go and catching up to do thanks to covid, football and reffing has to be 2nd priority at the moment for me

If you near Helsinki there are 23 matches available for officials tonight. I am now going to drive an hour to the East for the glamour of the men's fifth tier.

Good luck in your search Barry.

regards Barry
Given the effects of the past 18 months, a number of older referees have retired / simply not renewed. The younger referees have not been able to do the courses to become referees, so we have a horrible gap in referees available v number of games. Anything outside the FA control (Step 7 and below) is going to suffer a lack of referees this season.

Some old Step 7 leagues, who usually had assistants appointed to them won't anymore and the promising level 5 & 6 referees will be taken by the FA for step 5 & 6 matches as assistants. Clubs will have to have non-appointed referees for their matches, and if any league still gives the clubs the power to call off a match where a referee is not appointed, they are going to have a very long season.

I am sorry to say @Barry Priest it is going to be a hard year for referee appointment secretaries across the whole of the UK.

Just to add that the FA taking over the appointing of assistants for Women's Steps 3 and 4 and raising the level required isn't going to help either.

Not that I'm bitter or anything!;)

Supply league appointments officers are also struggling with a major shortage of L4s, due to those lost to natural wastage not being replaced given there were no 5 to 4 promotions. That will filter down as L5s will have to do those games, it is going to be a very difficult season for appointments at all levels I suspect.

Supply league appointments officers are also struggling with a major shortage of L4s, due to those lost to natural wastage not being replaced given there were no 5 to 4 promotions. That will filter down as L5s will have to do those games, it is going to be a very difficult season for appointments at all levels I suspect.
As you'll know, some 5-to-4's have ticked all the boxes for promotion from last season.... so it may be that they get bumped up earlier than planned

As you'll know, some 5-to-4's have ticked all the boxes for promotion from last season.... so it may be that they get bumped up earlier than planned

Yes, agree, I suspect the FA will have to bring forward the as yet unannounced date for interim 5 to 4 promotions.

Yes, agree, I suspect the FA will have to bring forward the as yet unannounced date for interim 5 to 4 promotions.
I expect quite a large mid season promotion pool. Depending on how many level 3s are reclassified after fitness tests we may see a lot of 4s being moved up and conversely even more spaces for l5-4 candidates.

I expect quite a large mid season promotion pool. Depending on how many level 3s are reclassified after fitness tests we may see a lot of 4s being moved up and conversely even more spaces for l5-4 candidates.

Yep, unprecedented times will probably lead to unprecedented opportunities for some referees. It isn't just fitness test related, rather I think what has almost certainly happened as well is some referees at L4 and above will have realised through lockdown how much time they get back with family and friends if they aren't out refereeing all the time, and some won't come back for that reason. I had that not through lockdown but rather when I was out injured long term after surgery, I realised I wasn't missing it anywhere near as much as I should have been so quit L3.

Back