A&H

Wind assisted back-pass

So, lets ignore the LOTG passage!! How many times does this actually happed, nearly zero id guess!!

What I mean is, if am reffing and a team is 9-0 down and one of them flicks ball up and headers it back to gk, I know it should be an idfk.
And am happy to award it. But, its possible to weigh things up and, helped by nobody caring about it, might be tempted to just play on
Same as I might on a maybe back pass in last min with team 9-0 down

In the clip, totally correct to give idfk.

The Referee Store
Im not sure where phase of play comes from. As @Peter Grove said this is not in LOTG at all. I am not sure i am giving this though, its all in that wording of deliberate. There is no way in a million years he has deliberately kicked the ball to himself.

Edit - Is the deliberate pass the original back pass? oh i don't know....Penalty!!!!!!!

Im not sure where phase of play comes from. As @Peter Grove said this is not in LOTG at all. I am not sure i am giving this though, its all in that wording of deliberate. There is no way in a million years he has deliberately kicked the ball to himself.

Edit - Is the deliberate pass the original back pass? oh i don't know....Penalty!!!!!!!

What the keeper does though is immaterial.
The offence is that he has handled a ball which was last played to him deliberately by a team mates foot.
As soon as the defender kicks it back to the gk, the gk needs another player to touch it before he can handle it, same as say, he kicked it off his own post.

The clip is totally and utterly correct. And we be lucky/unlucky if we ever see it again, far less in our own game

Deliberately kicked m'laud!!! Deliberately kicked....... straight to him........ deliberately!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: Case dismissed!!!!

jbjnUiz.png

It looks like the defender deliberatley kicked the ball...to the goalkeeper.

Okay. So devils advocate. Before we begin may I point out thst I see this as an offence punishable by IFK so all further notes are completely theoretical.
Lets take Ref Jefs phase of play scenario. The only mention of phase or phase of play is in VAR section so I am going to move away from that Phrase.
However, what refjef says, and where I think his idea comes from, is offside law, part 4 pertaining to when a player leaves the FOP to become "inactive" and the point at which they can become "active" again is when the ball is played towards the halfway line and away from the penalty area.
Would it be more fair, where the keeper has made a good effort to play the ball towards the halfway line and away from PA that this would "reset" the initial kicked to him by team mate. This would rule out One's scenario where the keeper had done a botch job.
This situation is so rare, and imo is not really what the law is trying to prevent. Spirit of game/what the game expects anyone?

A good thread, because I think if that incident happened with me I'd probably have a bit of a brain-freeze and end up not giving anything, because it is so unusual I don't think I would have accounted for it at all.

Fair play to the referee being switched on for that. I think now I've seen this happen I'll be better equipped to deal with it... @_@

It looks like the defender deliberatley kicked the ball...to the goalkeeper.

Indeed, since we're on the topic, I wonder do many people give a backpass for controlled tackles back to the keeper? A YHTBT scenario perhaps?

Spirit of game/what the game expects anyone?

I can see the argument for it. I also see why @Ciley Myrus asked if we'd let that go at grassroots. I think strictly by the letter it has to be punished but I wonder if most teams wouldn't really be too fussed if you said play on, just on how bizarre that incident was.

Okay. So devils advocate. Before we begin may I point out thst I see this as an offence punishable by IFK so all further notes are completely theoretical.
Lets take Ref Jefs phase of play scenario. The only mention of phase or phase of play is in VAR section so I am going to move away from that Phrase.
However, what refjef says, and where I think his idea comes from, is offside law, part 4 pertaining to when a player leaves the FOP to become "inactive" and the point at which they can become "active" again is when the ball is played towards the halfway line and away from the penalty area.
Would it be more fair, where the keeper has made a good effort to play the ball towards the halfway line and away from PA that this would "reset" the initial kicked to him by team mate. This would rule out One's scenario where the keeper had done a botch job.
This situation is so rare, and imo is not really what the law is trying to prevent. Spirit of game/what the game expects anyone?
I am with you. I also mentioned fairness and what the law intended for 'backpass'. However my thoughts are that consistency is more important and to be consistent, this has to be given.

As a side point, I was tempted to say if you don't penalise this you will be last week's ref. But this is a once in a life time thing for a handful of unfortunate refs. Twice in two weeks to become last weeks's ref? I think I can use the word impossible :).

EDIT: And because of the rareness of it, the game (fans, players...) don't know what to expect. They have never seen it before. So does "what football expects" really apply here?

Spirit of the Game is intended for exceptional circumstances not otherwise covered by the LOTG (imo)
There is an argument to rule according to the SOTG (new acronym :eek:), but my inclination would be to stick to the Law in this instance

Back