A&H

Wilson Lloris

There's no way it is impeding an opponent, Wilson has absolutely no obligation to get out of the way, and impeding is typically when someone moves to stop an opponent getting to the ball. If I was going to "find a foul", and I'm not going to say I definitely wouldn't at grass roots level, it would be for holding or pushing, well you would just be saying foul and then getting out of there quickly. Don't think an EPL referee really has that option though with multiple cameras and millions watching. Football expects a goal there, as has been seen by the reaction of the vast majority of people.

I heard someone say today that what Lloris did is the equivalent of driving your car into a wall and then blaming the ball for being there. Had he turned the wheel when he saw the wall he wouldn't have crashed his car, just as if he had seen Wilson and put the ball into touch, instead of trying to be clever, he wouldn't have given a goal away.

The Referee Store
You're going to need to tell me where that is in law 12...

There is a definition like you describe under a heading of "impeding the progress of an opponent without contact". This is where it talks about players having a right to position etc. etc.

As this appears under a very specific heading we have to imply it also applies to with contact and/or the overall Lotg definition of impede which is:

"Impede" is defined in the glossary as "To delay, block or prevent an opponent’s action or movement"
James - yes, I was using the i. f. k. section of Law 12, the important phrase being "moving into the opponent's path" to impede.
In the Lloris incident, Wilson did not do that, he was there already when Lloris arrived.

Back