A&H

Wigan v Cardiff

The Referee Store
Hmm, if they'd learned their lessons it might have been spotted hours ago, not just before kick off, especially as at that level the officials arrive at the ground hours before kick off. Sounds more likely that one of the clubs has spotted it during their warm up and highlighted it to the referee.

Although having watched the video, it does seem to be well before kick off as there's no one in the stand and the officials are still in the tracksuits they would have arrived in. Guessing it takes time to recalibrate GLT, and one team wouldn't be able to warm up properly whilst they are fixing the goal.

I would think every GK knows exactly where 8’ feet is. (When I player, at a much lower level, i could tell if a goal was too high or too short.)

the difference here from the other game, of course, is that the goal was too big, which is what GKs care about . . .

Two Championship teams in the same week having exactly the same problem - goals 2 inches too high. Seems a bit of a coincidence.

Job lot of badly-manufactured goal frames or what?

I would think every GK knows exactly where 8’ feet is. (When I player, at a much lower level, i could tell if a goal was too high or too short.)

the difference here from the other game, of course, is that the goal was too big, which is what GKs care about . . .
I was going to say this. Maybe it's because when I played, it was almost always as a goalkeeper but I could always tell if the bar was at the right height by just standing on the goal line and looking upwards.

If I needed confirmation I would just stretch my arm up - I had learned with experience that I could just manage to touch the underside of the bar by standing on tiptoe and stretching upwards.

The one time it happened when I was a referee, I realised as soon as I went to check the nets, that the bar was too high (again, just by eyeballing it at first and then by trying to touch the underside of the bar). Luckily it was a movable goal and there was another nearby that the ground staff were quickly able to move into place.

No one is saying the match officials should or do check the goal height every game, but if they are alerted to an issue the situation changes. You don't even need a tape measure, get someone who is reasonably tall to stand with their arm stretched up at each goal, if their fingers are noticeably a different distance from the crossbar at each post you know you have a problem.

The recalibration isn't because of the height of the bar, rather that you'd have to take the posts out of the sockets to remove the blockage, and GLT has to be recalibrated every time the posts have been removed.
What blockage, is that why the goal height was wrong?

this sort of check will no doubt get added to the standard pre match checks, and rightly so. i just wonder how many goals across the professional leagues were out of shape/size! my bet is loads

What blockage, is that why the goal height was wrong?
That is the usual cause at grass roots level, soil, stones, etc, gets into the holes and means the posts sit too high. Clearly not the case in the most recent example though given they had to take a saw to the posts.

Back