A&H

Why Club Marks do my head in

Quarryref

Just been through my club marks for the year, having studiously avoided looking at them all season.

Highest mark and lowest mark all season from the 2 clubs in the same game šŸ¤£
Had one club multiple times who seem incapable of any mark other than 'expected'

Same tactic next season - really can't see the upside in looking at them !

The Referee Store
Just been through my club marks for the year, having studiously avoided looking at them all season.

Highest mark and lowest mark all season from the 2 clubs in the same game šŸ¤£
Had one club multiple times who seem incapable of any mark other than 'expected'

Same tactic next season - really can't see the upside in looking at them !
You're a better person than me...

I might try this!! Just see where I end up without knowing

Not a better person, just a different coping strategy.

I know if I'd looked at a few of them when they first came out, I'd have been seething for days. That does no good on any dimension. Control the controllables and all that ....

Having said that, there were plenty of marks where the club sec was fair and thoughtful - and I don't mean just the best ones

This is not quite comparable because it relates to a grassroots league, but you might find this interesting.

I took every club mark awarded to referees over the course of a season, just shy of 7,000 marks from 188 teams. The team with the lowest average mark had an average of 65. The highest average was 98!

I am working on adjusting referee marks so that marks awarded by stingy teams get an uplift and marks awarded by generous teams get reduced. Another strategy might be to ignore the lower mark for each match.

Back