A&H

White Cards

ChasObserverRefDeveloper

Regular Contributor
Interesting new idea - used for the first time in a Benfica women's game this weekend, following a medical emergency in the technical area being dealt with swiftly.

Unlike yellow and red cards, which punish teams for breaking football’s rules, white cards are designed to recognise and praise clubs for fair play.
Part of a new initiative in Portugal, the hope is that a white card encourages ethical values in sport.

On this particular occasion, the white card appears to have been shown in the direction of the medical staff who were quick on the scene to treat to the person in the dugout.

I look forward to their use in Dog and Duck Reserves v Crown and Anchor Reserves in Div.6 of our local Sunday League next month:)

The Referee Store
Yes. I read and saw about that. But I also thought it was wired I hadn't read or seen it before this article.

Any idea where this has come from. I do recall similar thing in Italy with green cards... But again never seen any formal, proper process stuff about it

Well, they do say positive reinforcement is a better way to improve behavior.
But, I don't see it catching on - most players will probably think you're taking the piss.

Great idea. Shocked that I didn't think of something similar first!
However, I may need to start chucking white cards around like confetti to bump my club marks in the right direction 🐈

Yes. I read and saw about that. But I also thought it was wired I hadn't read or seen it before this article.

Any idea where this has come from. I do recall similar thing in Italy with green cards... But again never seen any formal, proper process stuff about it
Seems to have been an initiative by the Portuguese FA - nothing formal from IFAB as far as I can see.

Great idea. Shocked that I didn't think of something similar first!
However, I may need to start chucking white cards around like confetti to bump my club marks in the right direction 🐈
There was a referee in our area who used to give wrapped boiled sweets to (adult) players when they did something good in a match - until the day the player threw it back and it broke the referee's spectacles:foot:

What an absolute joke!

Typical modern day football, instead of clamping down on gamesmanship and cheating etc, it introduces meaningless token "house point" gestures! :confused:

free credit against a caution in the next match?!
Could be disastrous. Top plays bottom of the league, knows they'll walk them, so plays cleanest game of their life, gets 2 White Cards let's say. Next week, top play their rival, and can now use those White Cards to get 2 Reckless Play cautions knocked off.

Haven't we been down a similar ridiculous road before? Back in the day where the FA thought it was a good idea when a player went so many games without a card, so they would give a credit to remove a yellow against their name for that season. Clubs would exploit the rule and give the player a minimum time run out in the reserves/u23s to knock off a card before they hit the 5 card ban threshold.

Think if memory serves me correctly, it backfired on someone when they were sent off in a reserves match and ended up banned from the game they was looking to ensure they were available for :D

Could be disastrous. Top plays bottom of the league, knows they'll walk them, so plays cleanest game of their life, gets 2 White Cards let's say. Next week, top play their rival, and can now use those White Cards to get 2 Reckless Play cautions knocked off.
It wasn't a serious suggestion

Absolutely ridiculous. Like something from a school. Showing adults a card to say they’ve done well or been helpful. Patronising, embarrassing. Childish.

Back