A&H

When should a new ref register with a league?

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
I'm due to take my BRC in 3 weeks, and I was wondering when should a potential/new ref register with a local league?

Should I get intouch with one now so that once I've attended the course I'm ready to jump straight in and get the games I need in before my call back evening, or, should I get intouch after I've attended the course?

I usually prefer to get things sorted well before time, but I'm not sure of the procedure when it comes to this.

The Referee Store
If you have the opportunity to, ask your RDO for some academy fixtures as it lets you practice the basics in a pressure free environment. Don't run before you can walk :)

If you have the opportunity to, ask your RDO for some academy fixtures as it lets you practice the basics in a pressure free environment. Don't run before you can walk :)
Good thinking, Batman.
I'd not considered that option, all the booklet I got when I attended the "Get into Refereeing" workshop says is I have to ref 5 games (9v9 or 11v11) where two are mentored.

I have about 8 weeks to get the 5 games in before the call back evening when I take my LOTG test.

Also it may be best to avoid Open Age football initially. U14,U15,U16,U18 football is a great learning ground. I learned a lot of my game management at U18 level, the laws will look after themselves as long as you revise LOTG. Law 5 and Law 12 are the main ones they test at level 9 from memory. Best of luck

Also it may be best to avoid Open Age football initially. U14,U15,U16,U18 football is a great learning ground. I learned a lot of my game management at U18 level, the laws will look after themselves as long as you revise LOTG. Law 5 and Law 12 are the main ones they test at level 9 from memory. Best of luck

Thanks, I had thought that the games had to be open aged, but as there is a chance that I miss heard I fired off a quick email to my RDO.

He recommended that I go straight into OA if I'm happy managing people, but I can start on youth games as long as the use the offside rule.

I was in the Army for 12 years, so I have man management experience, and I think that OA football would be similar to the armed forces in terms of attitude etc (if that makes sense).

Last edited:
Thanks, I had thought that the games had to be open aged, but as there is a chance that I miss heard I fired off a quick email to my RDO.

He recommended that I go straight into OA if I'm happy managing people, but I can start on youth games as long as the use the offside rule.

I was in the Army for 12 years, so I have man management experience, and I think that OA football would be similar to the armed forces in terms of attitude etc (if that makes sense).
If you can handle 6 games of hormonally-confused teenagers, OA will be a easy peasy.

Most youth leagues will be on the lookout for refs but you'll need to get a CRC check in place beforehand and that can take a few weeks. Check with your RDO for information on CRC and youth games.

I did my course prior to the introduction of 9v9, but apart from the size of the pitch, smaller goals and areas, the laws are basically the same as 11-a-side. 9v9 is U11s & U12s, 11v11 starts at U13. Although I have heard some academy teams start 11v11 at U12s :confused:

Ref'd a lot of mini-soccer matches for my son's team prior deciding to "go official". 1st 11v11 match I did, had to keep reminding myself I had "assistants" :)

Good luck with the exam, was pretty straight forward, although our RDO admitted a couple of questions were "badly written"...

Back